Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shark Steam Mop or Hoover Floormate

I'm trying to decide between the two. Any reviews/recommendations?

I don't have either of these but you might want to do a search. I remember reading a lot of good things about the Shark Steam Mop when I was searching for threads on a hand vacuum - no idea why they came up together, but there you go.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

We have (had) the first generation floormate and I hated it! It left big trails of water on our hardwoods and puddles in the grout of our tile. I didn't feel it got them any cleaner than a regular mop. I went back to scrubbing them on my hands and knees while the floormate collected dust in the closet. That being said, it was the first generation model so they may have improved since 2004.

I think it depends a lot on what kind of floors you have and what kind of traffic/messes you are cleaning up.

I adore our Floormate (an older model -- a hand-me-down) because it scrubs up the messes left by our four cats and one dog. I don't know if the steam mop would get all of the, uh, er, dried remnants of vomit off the floor. It might, but I doubt it.

My ILs have tried the steam mop but didn't like it because they have ceramic tiled floors and it didn't clean the grout as well as they liked. The newer Floormates have a six (I think?) brushes that apparently really get their white grout clean.

If you don't have pets/heavy messes and have hardwood or laminate, the steam mop would probably be fine.

I have an older Floormate (haven't used it in years b/c we have a cleaning lady who mops the floors, so I don't have to anymore ) But, I did like it a lot when I used it. I like that it used actual cleaning solution (either a Lysol solution for kitchens/baths or a hardwood cleaner for hardwoods) so I felt like the floors were really clean, not just polished with hot water like the steam mop. It did take some time though, to vacuum first then switch to the cleaning mode, then go over again to suck up the water.
    Baby Boy 1- 2008
    Baby Boy 2- 2011!

We have the Floormate...just got it last year after Christmas and I really like it. It dry vacuums (which for us - with the kiddos - it really cleans up crumbs, hair, dried playdoh, etc.), wet scrubs and then sucks up the solution. I couldn't believe the dirty water after I used it the first time and now (and we do keep our house pretty clean, I swear!) The steam mop wouldn't cut it in our house because it isn't just dust/dirt...it's the crumbs, play doh, etc. that I mentioned. I suppose it depends upon if you have pets, kids, and how often you will use it (we use ours about every other week).
    J and E: July '03
    "Bud": August '05
    "Nona Bug": July '07

I wish I had read this before I bought my Steam Mop. I do love it sort of. I wanted something like the Floormate, didn't see one, so I got the Shark Steam Mop. I like the ease of changing the pads and that you can get extra pads (I go throught at least 4 downstairs alone -a dog, two cats, three kids). I wish it would pick up the dried on stuff from the animals, but I just scrub those seperate anyway. I do have to dry dust first then use the Steam Mop, but it is still 100 times more convienent than the mop and bucket version. It does have to be used with the grain of the wood or it leaves streaks. Overall, it was a decent purchase.
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

Hated the Floormate, but to be fair, I had the first model. I was so excited about it and in the end...meh.

We have a Bissell steam machine now and I love it, but it's seriously heavy duty.

I've heard good thind about the Shark.

We have the Shark, and I love it. 3 kids, 2 dogs and 2 cats on laminate, the shark has made it tons easier to get the floors done quickly. Where we do have tild we thankfully don't have white grout, because like the other poster said, It wouldn't do a good job on that.
    mom to 3 boys
    hoping to adopt a daugher
    Our Blog

We have the Shark and love it! I use the Swiffer Sweepervac ($30, AMAZING) first, and then use the steam mop and our floors are shiny and great! This is with 2 adults, 2 kids, and a 110lb lab! Our cleaning lady actually does the floors every other week and generally that's all the more they get steam cleaned unless we have company coming over (but I usually use the swiffer every other day or so). I also have her using it on the tiles floors and they seem great to me! FWIW - we have the $120 shark steam pocket mop.
    Married ~ 9/14/02
    Lauren ~ 9/27/05 ~ 7lb 13oz
    Mason ~ 9/8/09 ~ 8lb 10oz