Quantcast
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Palm Springs

It is pretty casual everywhere. Nice shorts for men and sundresses for women at even the dressiest places.
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08
    Holland Georgiana 6/11/11

Palm Springs is the cover story of the LA Times Travel section today (you're so trendy, boilermaker!). It focuses (I think--I skimmed) on PS proper, and on the revived retro/hipster scene, but has restaurant reviews.

Boiler, I live in the PS area and if you have any questions let me know!

My cousin, her husband and 3 girls (ages 5, 7 & 9 at the time) stayed at RLP about 2 years ago and they LOVED it. The girls spent tons of time in Spashtopia and had a wonderful time. My DD, 2 at the time, also enjoyed it.

Weather wise you are probably ok at that time of year. I believe the average high temp is 85ish or so. Just know that it IS possible for it to be 100+, as we've been known to hit triple digits in March. For going up the tram, keep in mind it is generally about 40 degrees cooler up there than on the valley floor. Coming from OH, as you said, you should be fine if it is in the 40s up there.

For activities, The Living Desert is fun for about a half day. I find that my DD gets bored after that long. We generally arrive between 9 and 9:30 as the animals are coming out for the day. At 10:00 there is giraffe feeding and that line can get pretty long. We usually stay until 12:30 or so. Quite often, I'll pack a picnic lunch, they don't care about bringing in food at all. They do have food for sale, but I find it is over priced for what you get. By mid-day, especially at that time of year, most of the animals are in hiding to stay cool. There are also hiking trails that originate from The Living Desert, although, in spite of our good intentions, in the year we've been members, we've never hiked them. Parking is free and I'd say it is about 15 minutes from your hotel. For a $3 donation, you can rent a cart that is easier to push over the dirt paths (some are paved, some are not) than a stroller.

We enjoy the Children's Discovery Museum. My DD and a friend went during Christmas vacation and had a great time. Lots of different things to do, their favorites are making "pizza", the dress up area and the vet office.

The tram is fun, the tram cars actually spin, very slowly, so you can see the entire view in the ride up and down the mountain. There is a restaurant there if you want to eat lunch or dinner. Actually, I think there is a restaurant, called Peaks, as well as a cafeteria style place. Lots of hiking and on a clear day, you can see all the way to the Salton Sea at the opposite end of the valley.

VillageFest in Downtown PS is LOTS of fun. Lots of vendors, street performers, a farmers market. I haven't taken my DD down there yet (we actually live in La Quinta and she still goes to bed early) but I have enjoyed it many times in the past and there were always tons of kids. Restaurants in downtown fill up early for VillageFest, so you'd probably want to be there by 5ish, I'd say. I believe VillageFest starts at 6 and the city shuts down Palm Canyon about 3 for set up.

I'm not sure what days you'll be here, but the Rancho Mirage Library does a fun toddler and pre-schooler story time that my mom has taken my DD to a few times. They usually read a couple of stories, sing some songs and do a craft. I believe the day they hold it is Tuesday.

For restaurants, Ruby's downtown is very kid friendly. Unfortunately, the one right by your hotel recently closed. For restaurants near your hotel, across Bob Hope Drive is a center called The River. Movie theater, Starbucks, Baja Fresh, Ben and Jerry's for fun stuff. Plus, The Yardhouse, Cheesecake Factory, PF Changs and Babe's all would be fine with kids.

If you have any other questions, just let me know!
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

Quote Originally Posted by Boskie View Post
    Just know that it IS possible for it to be 100+, as we've been known to hit triple digits in March.

By mid-day, especially at that time of year, most of the animals are in hiding to stay cool.
    This is so interesting to me! When we went in January we wore sweaters and we could have spent much more time at the Living Desert but wanted to start the drive home. I guess you just never know...it's like our weather where I am (1.5 hours from PS)...It was like 80 on New Year's Day but it's supposed to be 59 and raining next weekend--I know because I'm stalking the weather for DS1's birthday! Is January usually much different than February in PS? (ETA: We must have hit a rare cool patch as I also remember the sun barely came out the day we went to the Living Desert, and we all know that's pretty rare for PS!) Great tips, I was hoping you'd chime in, Boskie, as I remember from my thread when I had DS2 that you are a local.
    Last edited by Taurus; 01-15-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Our weather December through March is anybody's guess! MOST of the time, the highs are in the upper 60s to low 70s. Cool enough to wear a sweater (at least for us!) and not be hot. But then we'll hit a random few days or a week where it is either cold or warm. Mid December we had about 2 weeks of highs in the 50s. That is COLD for us! Then, New Year's Day it was easily 80. There have been many years, including this one, where all our neighbors were out taking down Christmas lights wearing shorts and tank tops. All last week the highs were in the upper 70s. Today it is overcast and about 65.

ETA: Boiler, I'm not sure why I thought you were coming here in May, but I now see you'll be here in February. You'll definitely want the warm clothes if you go up the tram. Temp wise, I'd say we'll probably have highs in the 70s, lows can go down to the mid-30s. It isn't unusual for us to have a 30-40 degree temperature swing throughout the day. LOTS of layers!

Also for attire (I've now had a chance to read the rest of this thread) casual is the norm. If you go to a club or somewhere like that, getting dressed up Vegas style is common, but for a dinner out, even in our nicest restaurants, you'll still find people wearing shorts. As linekelei said shorts and a golf shirt for men and capris or sundresses for women when it is warm.
    Last edited by Boskie; 01-15-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

Quote Originally Posted by Boskie View Post
    Boiler, I'm not sure why I thought you were coming here in May, but I now see you'll be here in February.
    Ah! That explains your other post better! I was so shocked to hear that the animals at the zoo would be hiding out by mid-day in Feb! It was Laura who (I think) said she had considered or would be considering a trip in May.

Yes it was me for May. And yes yes, I know we should go to Hawaii! I'm just overwhelmed with planning and ready to scrap it.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

Thanks so much for the info Boskie! I do plan lots of layers. But even 70 will wonderful coming from the single digits here!

Laura, haha, welcome to my world the past few months. I couldn't be happier we scrapped our "great big has to be super special" trip. It's too hard with unpredictable kids. But I'd still pick Hawaii and just know you really can't go wrong and that you'll return to catch the stuff you don't get this time. I do think vacation planning with little kids is very stressful though.

Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Ah! That explains your other post better! I was so shocked to hear that the animals at the zoo would be hiding out by mid-day in Feb! It was Laura who (I think) said she had considered or would be considering a trip in May.
    That is what I get for trying to read and comprehend something with a 4 year-old "helping"!

In February, they are generally out for most of the day. Except for the cheetah, which I have only seen ONCE. Although, that once WAS in February.

Boiler, there are also 2 good parks not too far from your hotel. The first, in Rancho Mirage, is called Whitewater park. Pretty basic play structure and it is sort of behind the Rancho Mirage Library and just west of The River. The second park, in Palm Desert, is called Civic Center Park. It is maybe 10 minutes from your hotel. LOTS of running around space, good play structure, lots of swings. There is also a duck pond that the kids could feed the ducks. My DD loves this park and we take her there frequently.
    Last edited by Boskie; 01-15-2012 at 08:20 PM.
    C & B - 5.13.06
    DD - 9.15.07
    My LJ

We're home and so very sad about it! We LOVED every bit of our trip and easily could have stayed much longer! I'm jealous you get to live out the Boskie.

First, I had no idea the desert towns were as big as they are and stretched across as much as they do. They each certainly have their own vibe. We were in Rancho Mirage and went over to Palm Springs twice. For what we were looking for this trip, RM was much more suited to our tastes. I can certainly see the draw of PS for a different type of vacation.

Rancho Las Palmos is a great family resort. We loved having the house in the country club and it was super easy to get over to the resort itself. If we didn't feel like driving or walking (we were just under a mile from the main area), we just called over and they sent a golf cart to get us (or take us back after one particularly nice happy hour). Splashtopia area was just perfect. They heated the pools, which felt great in the 70 degree sun. The Bluember is a lovely restaurant and we all loved sitting by the fire enjoying a late afternoon drink and snack. Everyone was so friendly towards the kids, it made us feel like they could be kids, behaved of course but still kids. They have several little ponds there with ducks that love to be fed. The girls got a kick out of tossing berries to them as they'd catch them midair. The country club area also had pools for us to use as well, again wonderfully maintained and heated.

We definitely took full advantage of the hiking available in the area. We stuck to the free options since the kids can only do about 2 hours before needing a break. I should post that we're big outdoors people, so we were happiest on the trails. We did Bighorn Overlook and a few adjacent trails around the Ritz, the Art Museum trail in PS, Whitewater Reserve, Randell Henderson trail at the San Jacinto Visitor center, and Hidden Valley and Skull Rock in Joshua Tree. And also the Cochella Valley thousand palm oasis trail. We did visit the Living Desert one morning but only spent about 2 hours. We could have spent more but I was solo with the kids and they were tired. They did enjoy feeding the giraffes and the butterfly garden, and the carousel. I'd have loved to have been able to walk through some of the gardens.

Food wise, we ate at the River 3 times, at Babes, Yardhouse and Acqua Pizzaz. All were great. We did do Villagefest but honestly, not our thing. I preferred the Rancho Mirage street fair we hit Sunday morning. In PS, we ate at Matchbox. We also got pizza one night at a place called The Slice in RM. And lunch one day at Keedys Diner. We didn't have a single bad meal but we 're pretty casual about food.

We didn't get to the tram. We'd sort of scheduled it in for one afternoon but it was cloudy that day so we opted not to waste the money. We did 2 decent overlook drives so we got quite a view that way. But maybe next time.

Anyhow, we had a fabulous time and are already planning a return trip.