Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default What to put above kitchen cabinets?

Last edited by PinkMartini; 01-28-2011 at 02:31 PM.

I was actually coming on here to post the same thing! I'm having such a hard time coming up with something! Hopefully someone has some good suggestions.
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

I know some people who've put greens (live ivy) above their cabinets. It's fake - obviously - and it looks nice. They'll put in little knick knacks.

Mostly, I like to decorate for the seasons. You already have a pumpkin up, why not find some harvest leaves on a vine and put them up there along with some gourds/indian corn/pumpkins etc. Get fake so A) they don't rot B) you can use them again.

For Christmas, get some "snow" and put a Christmas village up there, or other Christmas decorations. You can find stuff for Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's day, Easter, 4th of July (can leave up all summer), etc.

I like to change up our kitchen decorations, so I generally decorate for the season.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

I'll try to remember to take a pic of what I have on top of my cabinets for you tonight. Basically I just went to HomeGoods and bought a number of things that I thought would match the colors of my kitchen/family room. I have a wroght iron scroll thing ... a wooden sign that says "Cucina" .. a large vase placed on it's side ...
    I think one thing to remember is not to go overboard - or like kindermom points out - it will look like just clutter! I have one or two items above each set of cabinets.

Also - I have the same type of molding on the tops of my cabinets. I found that if you put an item up there that you really like and it doesn't look tall enough - you can simply put a book (or something of the sort) underneath the item to raise it up to the proper height. The molding hides the book you are using to raise the item!

What about wall words? Would that look ok?
    DS: 11-20-2006
    Boy/Girl Twins: 4-3-2011
    DD 4/3/2013

I store empty vases & decorative canisters (a gift from my MIL that I'm not able to get rid of) on top of our cabinets. But our kitchen is tiny and it's as much for storage as it is for decor or function. Fortunately I have a good collection of shapes/sizes for vases so it looks okay.

Personally I don't like ivy, but I think that's pretty common. I like the seasonal item idea.
    isabella noelle :: 12.7.09

I don't keep anything above mine b/c I think it looks too cluttered. But I think Wall words (as Delaney pointed out) could be cute.
    MC 11.14.04 JJ 07.15.06 QB 04/19/09

I'd accessorize with earthy looking things. A painted pottery vase, terracotta pots filled with easy care real plants that don't need a lot of water, a bamboo plate on a plate stand. Things look best in pairs of three, so a 3 small vignettes of at least three items around the kitchen.
    Instead of having "answers" on a math test, they should just call them "impressions," and if you got a different "impression," so what, can't we all be brothers?

I'd put nothing there or keep it really minimal. Not a fan of cluttered (and things have got to get filthy in that position) and I personally hate seasonal type items but I guess that's just personal taste. If you really want to do something, I'd put some larger pieces up there -- maybe a few vases, plates (is there enough room for a decorative plate?), something else decorative, but not too much. I'd consider real plants if you can get up there fairly easily to water them, but not fake.

IMO, it would look best plain, but I'm sure that's personal preference. I think your kitchen looks nice, and if you want to spiff up for company, would suggest only two things: remove from the countertop at least half of what is currently on it, and replace your wall clock. (and I really don't mean to sound mean at all!)
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal