Quantcast

Default Significant Irritability- Sign of Labor?

I searched but can't find anything. I understand that irritability is pretty normal during pregnancy but yesterday I woke up feeling extremely irritable and it hasn't abated. I feel like it must mean something? I'm 37w5d and I haven't lost my mucous plus. On Tue I was only 1cm dilated which is essentially nothing since this is my 3rd baby. I am having a lot more menstrual cramps than before. Did anyone feel significantly more irritable right before you went into labor?

ETA: Is it possible/likely? to go into labor without losing your mucous plug? With DD1 my water broke 49hrs after I lost my plug; with DD2 I lost my plug in chunks over the course of several weeks. DD1 was born @ 38 weeks and DD2 was born @ 40w2d but her labor was very quick. With both I was 4cm dilated at my last prenatal appts prior to going into labor.
    Last edited by poodlelover; 08-10-2009 at 06:43 AM.
    Madeline Elizabeth - 01.23.04
    Savannah Ruth - 11.26.05 (VBAC1)
    Caleb Joseph - 08.27.09 (VBAC2!)

I don't know about irritability as a sign, but with DS1 I never lost any plug. I went into labor spontaneously at 39w6d.
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

If irritability was a sign of labor, I would have delivered #2 at about 30 weeks!

But I agree with Marissa on the mucous plug. With #1 my water broke at 34w4d and I don't recall ever losing mine. With #2 my water broke at 38w5d and I lost my plug when I was going to bathroom about 2 hrs before he was born.

If irritability was a sign of labor, I would have delivered #2 at about 30 weeks!
    Oh I hear ya. I've been irritable a lot but this is like at a whole new level, like it went from a 5 to a 10 literally overnight.

I feel like it must mean something?
    Isn't being 37 weeks pregnant enough reason to be irritable?

Irritability is not one of the more classic signs of labor, but it's really difficult to sort out 'true' signs of labor because most women at 37 weeks are going to go into labor soon and it's difficult to say what happened ahead of time that was predictive versus what happened ahead of time that was just coincidence.

Losing or not losing your mucous plug is also not considered predictive of when labor will or won't begin.

I know you're eager to get this show on the road but hang in there! It won't be long now.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

I always felt like irritability was more of a sign of pregnancy itself than labour, lol.

I also went into labour without losing any of my plug. I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't sound like this is a sign of things to come.... Do your best to relax (or just take out your irritability by yelling at those who keep telling you to relax ) and hope things start rolling soon. Good luck!
    Married 7.3.04 Henry 10.29.08 Charlie 11.19.11

Well, it was for me. I went total mental with my second pregnancy 24 hours before I went into labor at 38 weeks. It was like PMS on overdrive. I really thought I was losing it. So for me, it did happen. I think it was some sort of freaky hormonal shift or something.

I went total mental with my second pregnancy 24 hours before I went into labor at 38 weeks. It was like PMS on overdrive. I really thought I was losing it.
    That's exactly it! As it turns out though it was just a prodrome to a migraine this time, I'm back to my usual moderately irritable self now.

Thanks, btb, totally gotcha.