Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kindergarten Readiness - what do kids need to know?

What do kids need to know for kindergarten? My daughter is now 4, starting the countdown to next year, and i want to know what she needs to know before she starts, so we can get ready. One parent i talked to recently mentioned kids needing to know to count to 100, and she can't do that yet, so we will work on that. but what else? she knows her alphabet, her numbers from 1-12 or so (she can randomly identify other teen numbers, but not consistently), her colors, and she can read some simple 3-4 letter words. she can write her name, and do some simple addition up to the 3's or so. what else do kids need to know?

thanks in advance,

Heather
    Our Wedding - 7.06.02
    Our Daughter - 5.07.05
    Our Son - 3.28.08

I taught kindergarten and the expectations at the end of the year was to only count and recognize #'s to 32! They do not need to count to 100! The kids needed to recognize letters and sounds and know about 30 sight words.

Here is a great link I found.

http://www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=701

You could also check out your state standards for Kindergarten and see what they need to know by the end of the school year.

She seems ahead of a lot of kids entering school!!
    Last edited by Ferris; 06-09-2009 at 07:55 PM.
    Brian & Kim 7/13/02
    Douglas 5/05 Margaret 3/08 Charlotte 8/10 Griffin 5/12

Call your daughter's school (or what will be her school) and ask. DD starts this fall and we had a kindergarten round-up at the end of May that went over what's expected from the kids. They don't need the kids to read, count to a certain number, etc. When she starts they'll test each kid's skill level and divide them into groups based on similar skills and as they learn more, they'll move up to a new group. The principal and teachers made it clear not to stress too much over what they do and do not know, because they'll learn it all easily once they start school. There are some activities in the booklet for us to do with her each week of the summer to prepare her, but it's all really easy. This week we go over my name, DH's name, and our address. Next week is to practice writing her full name & identify the letters & sounds. There's also learning how to walk to school safely & quickly, practice proper manners, learn to tie shoes, simple crafts, identify rhyming words, getting dressed on your own in the mornings, etc.

I think they just want the kids to know basic skills and proper manners and listening skills before they start. That being said, we've taken DD out of pre-k for the summer so she can have the time off. But we have a workbook we do each day, along with reading to one another, crafts, and we do the little booklet from school. I'm not going to stress or worry too much about teaching her and getting her ready for school. I know that she's a smart girl and that what pre-k (and I) haven't taught, school will.
    "It's just a fact."
    My LJ
    Ava 12.16.03/James 03.29.07

Our kindergarten also told us on parent orientation night that they evaluate the kids around Oct and put them into groups, so I agree there doesn't seem to be any specifics about what your child needs to know going in. It's probably based more on socialization and the ability to sit and listen, etc.

My DD is finishing Jr K tomorrow and started this year counting to about 30 and pretty much only reading the names of her family members, etc. She can now fully read and count to 100, etc. She learned everything she needed in Jr. K and I think she's even a bit ahead of where most kids will be in Sept, especially in regards to reading.

When I taught kindergarten, I was happy if kids came in knowing most their letters and some sounds, knew their numbers (1-10) and could count some, and could recognize and write their name. Colors and shapes should be down pat. I liked to see ability to rhyme and general book knowledge (which direction print is read, etc.) Sounds like she'll be just fine!

Of course, every school is different and the demographics in the town make a difference (for example, how many children attend preschool?) I worked in a rural town and I had many children who had never been in school.
    I'm surrounded by boys!
    DH 6/29/02 ~ DS1 3/2/06 ~ DS2 10/15/09

Quote Originally Posted by Ferris View Post
    I taught kindergarten and the expectations at the end of the year was to only count and recognize #'s to 32! They do not need to count to 100! The kids needed to recognize letters and sounds and know about 30 sight words.

You could also check out your state standards for Kindergarten and see what they need to know by the end of the school year.
    ITA, you should check your school's requirements for Kindgergarten. For instance, DD's school is very different than the example posted above. They needed to count & recognize up to 30 at the end of Pre-K. This year, at the end of K, they have to go to 100, including counting by 10s and 20s. Every school is going to be different so I'd ask about the requirements in your area.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

I teach in an urban district. We want the kids to come in toilet trained (some don't), knowing their name, how to handle books, maybe recognizing a few letters/numbers, colors, social skills like not hitting others, and how to listen and follow directions. Notice I said "want", not "require", because many don't have half of these skills, even some that have gone to preschool.

This thread is interesting to me, because I've never taught anywhere else. I agree with those who said call the school or see if they have a packet to give you. We do a lot of differentiated groups, because we have kids on the other end of the spectrum that come in reading and counting to 100.

Married~ 6-15-02
    Noah~ 2-14-07 * Eli~ 3-5-10

Mamax2 that is really funny in comparison to shimmerstars district.

Default i need help choosing one of these schools.

i AM THINKING ABOUT PUTTING MY DAUGHTER IN A PRE K CLASS JUST TO GET HER READY FOR KINDERGARTEN. She will be 4 JULY 21ST. I AM LOOKING AT

1. CHURCH OF THE CHIME
    2. BEL AIR PRESBYTERIAN PRESCHOOL

HAVE ANY OF YOU HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT ETHER ONE ? I need your pros and cons .

I'm surprised there are "requirements" for Kindergarten. Are these private schools? How can a public school require a student to know anything upon entry? What happens if a student registers and cannot meet the requirements? Are they denied admission? I was an elementary teacher for 8 years and never heard of this.

The public schools in my city only require a birth certificate, social security number, and shot record/physical exam. There is no admission test. Luckily my soon-to-be kindergartner is reading at a 3rd grade level and doing math at a 1st grade level so I'm not worried about whether she is ready, but I am worried that her classmates might come in not knowing how to count to 20 and she will be ignored since she is so far ahead.
    Last edited by Grenouille; 06-13-2009 at 08:30 AM.