Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Speech Evaluation, 18 Months

Can parents that had speech evaluations done for their toddlers chime in?

My daughter is 18 months and only says one word unprompted (muh/more). She has 2 words she will say if you prompt her (muh/more and mama). She's hit and miss on ahhh dun/all done and said bah/ball for the first time yesterday.

According to the AAP, at 18 months, toddlers should be saying 15 single words.

She's the 3rd in our family (we have a 4Y and almost 3), but I haven't really noticed them speaking for her.

Her 4Y old sister has expressive speech delay and sensory/motor planning issues (diagnosed at almost 2Y, didn't talk until almost 3). So, my hope is that they are being extra cautious due to her sister.
    EJM - 1.9.05 | CLM - 5.9.06 | MEM - 9.27.07

It doesn't hurt to get an eval. It's free through EI.

Daniel is receiving services for a gross motor delay (he's 18 months and has a 6 month delay), and he's getting services for his speech as well. His speech delay isn't as bad, and is rapidly improving - his speech issues are mostly because he's got low muscle tone, including in his mouth, so making some sounds is harder for him.

Our ped wants kids to say 3 words by 18 months. He's pretty laid back

But you might as well get an eval. It's worth the peace of mind if she's not delayed, and if she is, it's best to catch it early.
    Emily mom to Noah - 4/04 & Daniel - 9/07

My DD was the same way at 18 months, with maybe 2-3 words. She was chatty chatty chatty in her own language but actual words were SLOW coming. A huge language explosion showed up around 21 months and she hasn't stopped since. It really was amazing. So have faith

However, it sounds like having her evaluated is a good idea since her big sister had some issues.

Good luck - I hope it's just an issue of her being a bit lazy.
    JM & JS - October 2002
    Evelyn - December 2006

DS1 was evaluated at around 20 months and found to have a small delay in both expressive and receptive speech through ECI. He has since (at almost 3) tested out of ECI services, but he's not very chatty. I think he's just a man of a few words, but I wouldn't hesitate to have another of my children evaluated again. Just having someone else with expertise in the area look at the situation gives me a big peace of mind.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Apple View Post
    My DD was the same way at 18 months, with maybe 2-3 words. She was chatty chatty chatty in her own language but actual words were SLOW coming. A huge language explosion showed up around 21 months and she hasn't stopped since. It really was amazing. So have faith
    And at the same time - my DS was the same way at 18 months, and still, at almost 30 months only has a few words and is being evaluated next month for his speech (which I think is really delayed). So even though most kids probably have a huge language explosion at 21 months, not all do.

My DS has an eval next month through E.I. and I really wish I would've listened to others and had it done sooner. He should know/say 400 words at 30 months and only has maybe 50. Plus most of them are so badly pronounced his own father doesn't know what hes saying (and sometimes I don't either). I would definitely suggest you have him evaluated, it doesn't hurt and its free. If anything, it will give you peace of mind

DS was evaluated in Jan at 16 months, and we are still working through the process. He says Dada, sometimes Daddy, but mostly babbles in his own language. The EI coordinator has been so helpful, and we are discovering possibly a sensory issue as well. So many people told me to wait, but that mommy intuition said to call. Turns out he's having hearing issues, possibly due to fluid and we will see the ENT next week. If you think there's an issue, call. If there's a problem they are there to help.
    1+1=5! Baby #3, Aug 2012!

my DS was nearly 2 1/2 when we had him evaluated - I wish we'd done it sooner. He had a lot of words so I didn't really expect him to qualify but not only did he qualify for speech but he was also delayed in other areas (basically everything except gross motor). The EI services have been invaluable. He just turned 3 and is attending free preschool 4-5 afternoons a week and receives speech and OT services in school. His language has come a long way since his evaluation but he's not as conversational as he should be.

I'm having my other DS evaluated for gross motor delays next month. I figure better safe than sorry. There is a lot of help out there if you need it (if you qualify) and I figure it's better to have him evaluated and not need it then to not evaluate him if he does need it.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

My daughter was born with a cleft lip/palate, so she is predisposed to speech issues, but we first had her evaluated through EI at about 12 months (I was mostly looking for oral motor therapy at that time, not really speech therapy) and she didn't qualify. She had her second eval at about 19 or 20 months and qualified. She's been in Speech Therapy now for about 6 weeks.

My sister used EI with my nephew who was in a similar situation - no words at 18 months. She had him evaluated and now someone comes out and works with him one day a week. It is free and it has made a world of difference for them.
    A&K 05.18.02
    Baby Girl 09.06.05... Angel Baby Oct 2007... Baby Girl 10.21.08
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

hi,
    i'm an audiologist (pediatric). Asothers pointed out, its free to get him evaluated. My own son had a language explosion at 20 months with very little at 18 months.

Are you bilingual in the home?

Be sure to get your child's hearing tested as well...
    DS: 6-8-05
    DS: 4-26-08