Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why Is My Crock Pot Burning Everything?

I started my crock pot today a little after 8 and set it for 8 hours on low. I get home and some of the meatballs are burnt. I made a chili a few months ago and the same thing happened, it was a total loss I had thought with the chili that I did have enough liquid in the pot, but I know that wasn't the problem today as I used a whole jar of sauce with my meatballs. Luckily it wasn't ruined, but I want to be able to "Fix it and Forget it" and I can't if everything is going to burn.

From today's Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...011301634.html

ยท If they're newer, they're hotter. Because of food safety concerns, slow cookers today heat up faster and cook at higher temperatures than ones bought a decade or more ago. Andrew Schloss, author of "Art of the Slow Cooker" (Chronicle, 2008), found that low settings on newer cookers reach 185 to 200 degrees, while the high setting heats at 250 to 300 degrees. Settings on older machines generally are 15 to 20 degrees lower, and the machines heat up more slowly. If you have an older slow cooker cookbook and a new machine (or vice versa), you will have to adjust the timing in your recipes.

Does your Crockpot have a warm setting?

Yep, was going to post the same thing. New ones are WAY hotter. I would suggest using it on weekends for awhile to see how it cooks. I've found some stuff done in 2 or 3 hrs on low.

I have the same problem with my Crock Pot burning everything. The problem is that we go to work for 8-9 hours during the day. So how can I cook the food so it's ready at the end of the day when we come home for dinner?

I've been very frustrated and toying with the idea of buying a different Crock Pot but it sounds like all the newer ones are the same.

I work 12 hour days and use my crockpot nearly every week while I'm at work. I usually set it to cook on low for 5-6 hours (for a 3lb roast or a whole chicken) and then it flips to warm until we get home.

I had a much older crockpot until it finally died on me last year.
    I find that warm on my new one= low on the old one.
    low on the new one=high on the old one.
    I never use the 'high' setting on my current crockpot.

Thanks. I'll trying cooking something on low for 3 hours then let it switch to warm for the rest of the time.

My crockpot cooks really warm - there's no way I could leave anything in there for 8 hours, even on low, and have it not burn. 6 hours seems to be the outer limit for recipes (on low) and I can cook several frozen ck breasts in 3 hours on high. I just have to adjust recipe lengths and for many slow cooker recipes, if it calls for something on high for 6-7 hours I do it on low for that time period instead and it cooks perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Smillow View Post
    Does your Crockpot have a warm setting?
    Yes, it does, but I've found that even on the warm setting the food burns. When I got home tonight and realized it was a little burnt, I turned it on the warm setting to just keep it warm until we were ready to eat dinner. When I went to actually have dinner, more of the meatballs were burnt and the sauce was still boiling I am bummed because the idea of using the crock pot was to make week nights easier, but i guess it will just have to be a weekend thing.

So how can I cook the food so it's ready at the end of the day when we come home for dinner?
    My crockpot doesn't have the ability to automatically switch to warm, so I've thought about using an outlet timer (like the kind you would use to have your lights turn on at a certain time) to turn on the crockpot at a later time. Of course I'm a SAHM, so usually I'm around and can just switch it to warm myself.

I'm glad I read this though. I had heard that newer crockpots were warmer, but it has been just recently that my stuff started burning. I must be cooking longer than I used to. In any case I'm glad it's not just me

Do you have a timed bake on your oven? I just figured mine out over the weekend & it was wonderful!

I guess that I wouldn't want to use it for probably most things during the week though because they would be in the oven from 7:45 am until whenever the oven turns on. I do live close enough that I could run home on my lunch break to throw something in the oven on timed bake, although, I prefer not to go home on lunch.

My crock pot is pretty hot also!