Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mole removal?

Default Mole removal?

Has anyone here had a mole removed? What does it involve? Is it very painful? Did your insurance cover it? Also, is it something I could do while pregnant?

Lots of questions, I know! I have a couple that I have wanted to have removed for a while, but it seems that I am always either pregnant or breastfeeding or otherwise busy. I am really tired of waiting and want to see if it's something I can just go ahead and get done.

I had a small mole removed because I did not like the way it looked (different from any of my other moles so I thought it might be cancerous) and the dermatologist agreed that we should probably remove it. He did it right then and there. He first cut it out and then burned (?) the wound to seal it up and stop the bleeding. It looked like a crater for a while and I was supposed to keep it moist with a particular ointment. I wasn't that good with the ointment and so even now, 8 years later I still have a pale scar where the mole was. It is less noticeable than a mole but not sure that it is any more attractive. It is not in a visible spot so I don't care about that but just wanted to let you know since I'm not sure what your motivation is. It was painful but not terribly so. And my insurance covered it just as part of that dermatologist visit. I had an HMO at the time so I just paid my regular co-pay. I don't know about doing this while pregnant.

I'd like to have a few removed too. My sister had one on her face removed by her dr. She got him to say that it needed to be removed even though most of the reason was cosmetic, so her insurance covered it. I haven't had mine removed for your exact reasons...not at the top of my to do list, but def. something I want to take care of.
    J and E: July '03
    "Bud": August '05
    "Nona Bug": July '07

I've had several removed because they were suspicious (so not for cosmetic reasons) and insurance paid for removal and the biopsy.

I've had them done 2 ways - a shave excision (these were on my back so I couldn't see exactly what she was doing). She told me she injected them with "something" to make them raised and then shaved them off. I applied antibiotic powder and kept them covered for a while. That was about 5 years ago and I have scars where they were.

I had several removed a few months ago via punch biopsy (so they look like big craters). I was/am TTC at the time and she said it was fine if I was pregnant. I believe she injected them with lidocaine and then used a tool to sort of scoop them out. They're still pretty nasty looking and will definitely leave a scar. I would not do it on a very visible area (like my face).

I had a few raised moles removed, because they were in spots right where my bra's band would sit. The dermatologist injected a local anesthetic, and "burned them off". I don't know exactly what he did, because I could not look. It was not very painful, and healed pretty quickly. The sites are a little bit paler than the rest of my skin, but I like it much better than the moles. I would do it again.

Insurance did not cover it, but it was not terribly pricey.

BTW, I was BF at the time. The local anesthetic is similar to what a dentist would use, and I was told this is safe while BF.
    Married 07-15-00
    2 girls: L. 08-28-03 and E. 08-18-06
    Journal

I had a few removed off my throughout the years. Different dr's, but same procedure. First they numbed the area with a small injection. Then they cut it out and send it in for biopsy. Both times it was covered by insurance.

I have one on my cheek that I'd like to get rid of, but both the Dr's told me that its better to just leave it alone. They both told me that the scar could be worse than the actual mole. So I've left it alone.
    Lauren

I've had several removed throughout the years, using the same methods posted above. Insurance has covered all of them. If you are having one removed from a conspicuous area, such as the face, your dermatologist will usually refer you to a plastic surgeon. I had a mole on my forehead removed by a plastic surgeon (still just an easy office procedure) and you can hardly see a scar even when I point it out. (The plastic surgeon was also covered by insurance.) I do have scars every place I've had one removed, but the resulting scar often depends on the area from which the mole is removed--like if it's on your neck, the wound will take longer to heal and may leave a bigger/more noticeable scar since you are constantly moving your neck, etc.
    DS and DD ~ December 15, 2007

I had 3 removed in May prior to ttc again - she said she preferred to do it before I was pg - not due to it being an issue of being pregnant during the procedure but she said that the scar tissue may be thicker if done when I was pregnant.

My insurance did cover it (and it was done by a plastic surgeon) as they were sent out for biopsy - if it was just for cosmetic reasons, they wouldn't have covered it.

It was a little uncomfortable after the novicane wore off - plus I had never gotten stiches while awake so that kind of grossed me out.

I wasn't good about rubbing the one on my upper breast so it is pretty raised even 4 months later. I want to try that scar guard stuff they advertise on tv, but I am going to wait at least until I deliver to do that.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

I've had several removed over the years (since I was 10). The biggest one was on my back -- probably a half an inch big and fairly deep. That one didn't hurt as much as it was bothersome because it right on my bra line. The most recent one was on my scalp (I also had a cyst there) and it felt like I had banged my head for a few days. For all of them the Dr. has just used a local anesthetic and cut them out. Pain was minimal - as minimal as stitches can be. Generally - I felt OK after a few days.

My insurance has covered all of the removals and associated lab work - but skin cancer is very prominent in my family and my Dr. would never bill the removal as "cosmetic."
    Last edited by Wrighty26; 09-21-2008 at 07:28 PM.
    Big Brother 7.06.06
    Little Sister 3.26.09

Blog

I have 2 that I really want removed and have just never gotten them done. Just not high on the priority list I guess.

One did get a bit bigger while I was PG and I asked my OBGYN about getting it removed. She said it was safe to do while PG, but she recommended waiting until after the pregnancy because she said some grow back while still pg.