Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Ear piercing - Claire's/Piercing Pagoda or Piercing Studio?

I'm thinking of getting my ears pierced. I've read a little bit about the process, and am concerned about possible infection, etc. One place I read said NOT to go to a place like Claire's or Piercing Pagoda because piercing guns cannot be fully sterilized? Any thoughts? I've never been to a tattoo shop, but, would that be the better way to go?

Also, for my first pair of earrings I really don't want those little metal balls. Can I start out with small diamond/CZ studs? I know whatever I wear first has to stay in for about six months, right?

The first time I had my ears pierced, I was 12, and it was at a very reputable jewelry store. The second and third (in one ear) times were just in a Claire's-type place, I think. I've never had any problems, but be sure to follow all of the instructions about follow up care.

I just used the little gold studs, so I don't know about using stones. However, I've seen little baby girls with stones in their ears, so I'm guessing there are options.

I got my ears pierced at Claire's when I was in 6th grade and had no problems.

http://www.namaii.com/suck/

This site has good info and sums up how I feel. I would only ever have a piercing done at a piercing shop with a hollow one time use needle. Of all of my piercings the 2 that were done with a needle are the only 2 that I never have issues with - the ones that were done with a gun bother me when I change earrings or if I touch them. The concept makes total sense - the needle only takes out that small tube of skin whereas the gun really tramatizes the whole area surrounding the hole. Also I was told last time to always start with a hoop and then after a couple months go to a stud.
    Alison
    Aidan-10/08/03 Caitlin-09/10/05
    "The joys of motherhood are never fully experienced until the children are in bed." unknown

I've gotten 5 piercings at Claire's-type places. I never had a problem.

Last time I got them repierced (5 years ago) I went to a JC Penney's salon. Didn't have any problems. And the guy didn't redo them in the old holes since those were done crooked. (Claires when I was about 9)

When I had my tongue pierced (8 years ago) I got it done at a tattoo shop with a one time needle (not sure they use anything else) and had no problems. When I had my ears pierced at a Claires type shop, my ears got super infected (even though I followed the instructions completely) and one hole ended up closing. I went & got the hole re-pierced and a 2nd hole put in in each ear at a tattoo shop (one time needle) and everything was fine.

Needless to say, if I ever get anything else pierced, it'll be at a tattoo shop!

I had my ears first done at a beauty shop type place, anyone remember when the did that? Those got infected, and the holes closed. I got them done like 4 more times after that at mall piercing Pagodas (like the standing ones), and at Claires. Each and every time I got infected, but never really from the initial piercing (except maybe the last time). They all closed after each infection, and I never went back. I always put good earing in my ears, family always sent jewlery from Italy and all, but with no luck. I don't plan on ever doing them again, but I don't blame the places that did them, I think it was just a reaction to the earings.
    Kyle Jordan 5/2/09---such a prince

Philly girl at heart <3

My first ear piercing was done at Claires when I was in 4th grade, and I never had an problems. I then had another set done at Piercing Pagoda many years later. I also had my cartiledge done three times at PP, but I no longer have them.

I used to work for Piercing Pagoda (in managment)-you can get stones, so you are not just stuck with the little balls. The guns were cleaned in front of the customer before the piericing and then after. I will say it does come down to the person doing it and how well it goes. I pierced many people of all ages-babies to older, mature women.

If you are going to have a reaction to the metal, it's going to happen no matter where you go. The best advice I can give you (or anyone) is to NEVER use alcohol to clean a piercing. By nature alcohol is a drying agent, and it will dry the piercing out so quickly, which can lead to an infection. If someone came back to my store with a problem, I could always tell when they used alcohol-that's why I stressed it so much before I did anything.

If you have any other questions about PP, feel free to ask!

I would get it done only someplace where they sterilize all instruments using an autoclave.

I have two ear piercings and one belly button piercing; my first ear piercings were done by a doctor, all the rest at a tattoo shop.