Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default boil pasteurized milk???

I just got back from the doctor about my DD's constipation. We have been going back to this doctor over the last 5 months, and his latest thing is to have us put her on 2% milk instead of homo b/c she didn't react well to the homo. He thinks the formula she is on is causing the constipation. (Isomil - Soy Formula)
    Along with a numerous amount of suggestions he told us to give her boiled 2% milk. To boil it until it froths, put it back in the container it was in and put back in the fridge.

Has ANYONE heard of this? I can not find any info on this by googling it and I just find it odd.

And yes I know that babies from 12-24 months Should have homo milk, I am not questioning that.....but she reacted to it, and this doctor knows that. He suggested this instead?!

(My DD is 14 months)

Thank you!

I have no idea what the theory is behind it or if it really works, but I have heard of it before. My mom had to do this for my younger sister because she was having similar issues with whole milk. She ended up on boiled 2%, but this was back in the 1970s so maybe your doc is just old school. I wonder if the boiling does something to break down milk fats or proteins.

ETA: I found this 'If the milk is pasteurised, boiling it will assist in the digestion. Pasteurisation partially dismantles the protein structure. This makes the milk more difficult to digest. Boiling the milk finishes the process and decreases the chance of allergic reaction (1).' from this naturalparenting website.
    http://www.naturalparenting.com.au/f...difference.cfm
    Last edited by littlebear; 07-17-2008 at 02:18 PM.

I have never heard of that, but soy formula *is* notorious for causing constipation. (Soymilk can be bad, too.) Is there any reason why you're trying to switch to whole milk, but also using soy formula? Could you try using a milk-based formula instead (rather than either of the other two options), since both straight cow's milk and soy can be constipating?

I'm trying to imagine what he could be thinking of with the boiling. Maybe to break down the proteins in the milk more? (When little kids are dairy sensitive, it's usually due to the proteins in cow's milk -- different than being lactose intolerant, which usually happens as humans get older.)

Finally, it's traditional for babies to get whole milk after a year, but there's no reason why they absolutely *should* have it, if it's not tolerated well. Can she do cheese and yogurt? She can get her calcium from those, and try rice milk as a beverage. You would just have to be sure that her diet includes foods high in 'good' fats to replace the fat from the whole milk. (Making a smoothie with rice milk, a little fresh fruit, and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil would be great for getting in some 'good' fats and may even help her move her bowels more easily...)
    mama to Joey (01/20/04) and Teddy (04/29/08)

Quote Originally Posted by littlebear View Post
    I have no idea what the theory is behind it or if it really works, but I have heard of it before. My mom had to do this for my younger sister because she was having similar issues with whole milk. She ended up on boiled 2%, but this was back in the 1970s so maybe your doc is just old school. I wonder if the boiling does something to break down milk fats or proteins.
    Thank you for your reply! This doc is older, so he is kind of old school! lol

ETA: I read your reply before you edited it! THANK YOU for the link! Checking it out now!!!! I couldn't find ANYTHING! So thank you Very Much!!!!
    Last edited by Sunshine; 07-17-2008 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marisa View Post
    I have never heard of that, but soy formula *is* notorious for causing constipation. (Soymilk can be bad, too.) Is there any reason why you're trying to switch to whole milk, but also using soy formula? Could you try using a milk-based formula instead (rather than either of the other two options), since both straight cow's milk and soy can be constipating?

I'm trying to imagine what he could be thinking of with the boiling. Maybe to break down the proteins in the milk more? (When little kids are dairy sensitive, it's usually due to the proteins in cow's milk -- different than being lactose intolerant, which usually happens as humans get older.)

Finally, it's traditional for babies to get whole milk after a year, but there's no reason why they absolutely *should* have it, if it's not tolerated well. Can she do cheese and yogurt? She can get her calcium from those, and try rice milk as a beverage. You would just have to be sure that her diet includes foods high in 'good' fats to replace the fat from the whole milk. (Making a smoothie with rice milk, a little fresh fruit, and a tablespoon of flaxseed oil would be great for getting in some 'good' fats and may even help her move her bowels more easily...)
    She was on Alimentum as a newborn b/c my milk didnt come in but soon became fully BF. When she stopped BFing at 9 months we tried her on the Alimentum and she would not drink it.(No soy/no milk) We tried a milk based formula but she was constipated badly with that. We tried a another kind (Cant remember what it was called) but it was NASTY! No wonder she wouldn't drink it. And then we finally found Isomil, which she would drink.
    When she was over 1 year we tried homo milk but she reacted to it, she got rashy.........she IS older now so the doc was thinking to try the homo again but suggested boiling 2% instead.

Oh, we also tried rice milk, but she would NOT drink the fortified stuff Only the rice milk with no nutrients At All!!!!! She will eat cheese but we are trying to stay away from cheese b/c of her being badly constipated. And she does have yogurt, but it iis hit and miss lately. She used to Love it but lately wont even finish one.

Thanks for your reply! Its so frustrating seeing my daughter like this. I have a bunch of things to hopefully help her slide the poops out. She also has fischers so I have meds for that as well.......poor thing

Maybe ask about goat milk? It's not supposed to be as allergenic and the proteins are easier to digest.

How about cottage cheese? DD loves cottage cheese.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Thanks jennylou for the suggestion! But DD just isn't ready to give up the bottle yet

oh poor thing, fissures are *really* painful. not sure if you're adding flaxseed oil to her diet, but i've found it to be the absolute best thing for constipation -- for myself and my kids.
    noa 6.6.04
    henri 9.10.06

Quote Originally Posted by dana b View Post
    oh poor thing, fissures are *really* painful. not sure if you're adding flaxseed oil to her diet, but i've found it to be the absolute best thing for constipation -- for myself and my kids.
    No doctor has ever suggested that! I will look for it at the grocery store! I can buy it at the grocery store?
    ETA: How should I add it to her diet and how much should I give her?