Quantcast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Window Treatments for Sliding Glass Doors

We just finished our basement and I need some help in choosing a window treatment for our sliding glass door (or doorwall, as we call it here in MI). I'd like something that can be closed to offer privacy & light control. However, I really don't want vertical blinds! I just don't like the look of them. I've searched extensively online, and there are other options, but they are pricey. Any ideas or photos from your homes?

Thanks!
    Motherhood in Motown
    OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

We have two sliding glass doors in our house. When we moved in a year ago we installed vertical blinds on one of them (the house was new construction so there were no window treatments when we moved in), but not on the one in the living room because, like you, I don't really like the look of vertical blinds. I wanted a softer, more stylish look for the living room, so I opted to do a double-curtain rod with some semi-sheer green curtains and a white sheer curtain liner behind. I think it looks nice, both inside and from the outside.

Let's see if I can find a picture or two...

This one is from outside and it's kind of far away, but you can sort of see the white curtain in the window:

Here you can see the curtains on the right side of the photo:

When the sun shines directly on that side of the house they don't block all of the light, but they do at least provide privacy:
    Sarah Journaling on LJ now - send me a PM if you want to be added to my friends list!

I'm totally distracted by the sight of Aragorn's sword. I want one.

Anyway, We have a double hotel rod, that we purchased at Restoration Hardware back in the day. It doesn't have finials or anything since I was going for a simple look. On the front rod, we have lemongrass colored silk drapes (4 panels). On the back rod, we have cream colored voile sheer drapes (4 panels). We purchased some simple hold-backs as well, so we can put the silk drapes in the hold-backs and leave the sheers closed if we want more privacy.

Found the double rod online- http://www.restorationhardware.com/r...028&navCount=1

silk drapes like ours - http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...key=cprwwinslk
    sheers - http://www.potterybarn.com/products/...key=cprwwinshr

The whole thing looks similar to this, though our drapes are green and we dont' have a panel in the center - just 2 panels on each side of the sheer drapes.
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans. -- John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by yby1 View Post
    I'm totally distracted by the sight of Aragorn's sword. I want one.
    LOL, I love that you recognized it! DH bought it at a Scottish Games festival we went to last summer. They had tons of swords and he *had* to have one. After much perusal of the selection he settled on one from LOTR - he's a big fan, of course.
    Sarah Journaling on LJ now - send me a PM if you want to be added to my friends list!

Here's the sliding door in our den. I made cornice boards covered in a nautical tapestry, and just made plain ol beige panels that are tied back with rope/cleats (to keep the nautical theme).

~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

I just bought panels to cover the sliding glass door in my new house. Unfortunately, they aren't installed so I can't show you real pictures but you can get an idea here:

I got mine on sale at JCPenny. The whole set up should have cost $200 and I paid $65.

Quote Originally Posted by meg View Post
    I just bought panels to cover the sliding glass door in my new house. Unfortunately, they aren't installed so I can't show you real pictures but you can get an idea here:

I got mine on sale at JCPenny. The whole set up should have cost $200 and I paid $65.
    Meg--I love this! I can't find it on jcpenney.com, though. Do you mind sharing the brand/item name? TIA.

OMG, thanks for posting, meg! I love those, too, and I think they're the perfect solution for our door. I found them online:

http://tinyurl.com/56oxsb
    Last edited by motownmamma; 07-28-2008 at 06:04 AM.
    Motherhood in Motown
    OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

I also don't like the way vertical blinds look but couldn't quite get on board with the panels. So, we did regular mini blinds (which we did for the rest of the house) but with cordless ones so the cord wouldn't pile up on the floor. We did a separate section for each portion of the door. It's worked out really well so far (it's been a little over a year).

I also bought the sliding bamboo panels from JCPenney. I got them about 3 years ago and have no complaints.
    AKA blossom1022 from the WC