Quantcast

Default Help! My cat just peed on me while I was sleeping AGAIN!

For the third time this week, my cat peed on my while I was sleeping. I am almost certain that there is nothing medically wrong with her-she is acting completely normal and has peed in her litter box consistently besides the peeing on me. When she has had UTIs she peed in our laundry basket She is my cat and has been just as affectionate this week as she normally is, but each time she pees on me after DH gets out of bed. She has access to food, water, and litter, which gets scooped daily.

I've been googling, which can be dangerous because I've read on a couple sites that cats can sense pregnancy hormones and sometimes will spray pregnant women. We are TTC, but I am in the TWW. I don't know if this is the case, or if this is even true, I'm just trying to figure out WHY she is doing this.

Any ideas?
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him" 1 Samuel 1:27
    Our answered prayer-12*24*2010

Ok, that would be SO weird if you were PG and she somehow knew before you did (good luck btw!). Maybe she is mad b/c you were ignoring her and were sleeping instead of playing with her?
    ~Kate~
    LJ
    Andrew Patrick 12/8/09

Are you using the same covers/sheets? Like did you just wash them then put them back on the bed? BC if so, she can still smell the hormones she left behind and will keep going in the same spot until you use something like Nature's Miracle to get it out.

I have to say... after the second time I think my cats would be sleeping in the living room. You're courageous. Or maybe just a very indulging cat mom .

PS. Female cats cannot spray.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

Thanks to you both. Good point on the bedsheets, tlew. I didn't think about that. And I feel like an idiot. I know female cats can't spray. A google chain-search just led to me typing "cat pee pregnancy hormones" or something like that, which led to the article saying cats may mark pregnant women.

Anyway, she didn't do it this morning, when I just so happened to get out of bed before DH. I don't get it, but I will try putting different bed linens on to see if that helps.

Oh, and she would definitely be out of our room except that the litter box is in the master bathroom. If she does it again she will be going in there; I just want to exhaust all other options first since I feel bad doing that.
    "For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him" 1 Samuel 1:27

Quote Originally Posted by KK812 View Post
    Anyway, she didn't do it this morning, when I just so happened to get out of bed before DH. I don't get it, but I will try putting different bed linens on to see if that helps.
    She doesn't want you lazing around while your DH is up...
    Just teasing. I don't have any advice, just sympathy. Cat pee is- ugh! And being peed on in bed? The worst! I hope she's done with that trick!
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.- Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFredPunkinHead View Post
    She doesn't want you lazing around while your DH is up...
    Just teasing. I don't have any advice, just sympathy. Cat pee is- ugh! And being peed on in bed? The worst! I hope she's done with that trick!
    Haha, that must be it. The strangest part is that she did pee on DH's foot a couple times when she was a kitten. She only did this though when we forgot to leave the bathroom door open and she only did it to him. She's almost four and there has never been any spite peeing toward me before.

I'm assuming she's been spayed, yes?

If so, I would take a sample of the urine to the vet. Lock her in the bathroom with an empty litterbox (no litter, shredded plastic sacks only - the pee won't stick to the plastic) and collect a sample.

If your cat is acting out because you are pregnant, that is one thing, but if she has a medical problem, that is another problem entirely. If this is something new you should at least have her urine checked and if it isn't a medical problem, take a pregnancy test. And if that is negative, maybe she is sensing that you are getting ready to become PG (hormone differences).
    Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Cats are super sneaky when it comes to hiding illness. Without a urinalysis, there is no way to rule out an infection or other medical condition.

2. Female cats don't "spray" in terms of marking on horizontal surfaces, but they can mark. It's much less common than with males, but it happens.

3. There may very well be some behavioral reason she is urinating on your bed- sometimes they don't feel like using the litterbox because it's too far away/too dirty/ too dusty/ too fragranced/ heard a dog outside/ bed felt nice on her feet/ insert random cat-reasoning here... once they pick a spot they like it can be hard to break the habit. But I wouldn't spend tons of time trying to figure out what's going on without addressing the first point and making sure she doesn't have a UTI or FLUTD or something else medical.

We've been dealing with some significant inappropriate elimination issues with one of our cats this year. She DID use her litter box, but also peed on chairs, the couch (for a month I swear she peed no where but the couch) our bed, etc etc...we checked first for medical issues and worked on the behavior issues (we actually had her medically checked out more than once when my initial attempts to correct the behaviour weren't working - just in case!).

I finally began working with a feline behaviorist and learned that this is a pretty complex issue, and that while it feels like punishement to be peed on - your cat is probably peeing close to you to gain confidence (so strange to me!) Working with the behaviorist however we were given tips - products to use (special litter, new boxes), adding litter boxes and food bowls (we have multiple cats so part of the issue in our house was anxiety over not enough "resources"), play therapy etc...the ideas sounded strange to me - but we implemented everything and have had NO issues for almost 2 months now. This is huge compared to the problems we were having.

I'd get your cat checked out to be sure there are no physical issues - and if not I'd work with a behaviorist ASAP to figure out what to do - problems like this are easier to nip in the bud, rather than have them continue and get worse - causing a lot of upset for you and your kitty!

(I don't want to "advertise" for my behaviorist - but know they are hard to find (most work with dogs mostly, who are really different)...mine does phone consults - you can find her website by searching for the cat behavior clinic - I took a chance by setting up a consult as a last ditch effort, but am SOOOO glad I did!)
    aka JenniferinClyde on LJ and jenwedding on WC