Quantcast
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I've only seen a dermatologist once and he was a male. There was a nurse in the room, but I declined the full body exam because I still felt uncomfortable. It was kind of a weird situation because the nurse also works with my DH. I felt weird getting naked in front of her. Not to mention the fact that the dr had no personality whatsoever. I need to see a derm again soon to have some moles removed and I've pretty much decided to just see a woman next time. Personal preference, I guess.

I have a male derm and he is awesome! Really, top notch technically and also good bedside manner. He makes me feell great even when dealing with skyvvy things like when I had toenail fungus.

I've never doe a full body exam though, but he always has a nurse in the room with him when he sees me. Usually he's talking and she is recording or prepping stuff.

Well I called and asked if they ever have a nurse accompany their male doctors for full body exams. She said no in a tone that sounded like she thought I was nuts for wanting one. Oh well! I postponed my appointment and in the meantime I'll be looking for a female dr.

I should mention that one of the spots I want examined is actually on my breast, so I think that's a big part about why I'm a little uncomfortable with the idea of a male doc. I'd just feel a little funny asking them to look closer at my boob, KWIM?

I've actually felt MORE comfortable with having a male doctor perform a breast exam (at my annual pap) than I did the women.

I also found that the guys were more 'respectful' and conscientious about not making me feel awkward, whereas the female doctor made several comments. They weren't inappropriate or sexual, but I still would have preferred she not be all chatty about my boobs... *shrug*

However, that said, I am not sure that I would be equally comfortable with a male doing a FULL BODY exam. So I understand how you would be uncomfortable with that.

I can't believe the nurse was anything but reassuring to you.
    Married: 7-07-07
    Baby Boy: 4-23-08

Quote Originally Posted by FoxyBlue View Post
    I've actually felt MORE comfortable with having a male doctor perform a breast exam (at my annual pap) than I did the women.

I also found that the guys were more 'respectful' and conscientious about not making me feel awkward, whereas the female doctor made several comments. They weren't inappropriate or sexual, but I still would have preferred she not be all chatty about my boobs... *shrug*

However, that said, I am not sure that I would be equally comfortable with a male doing a FULL BODY exam. So I understand how you would be uncomfortable with that.

I can't believe the nurse was anything but reassuring to you.
    I bolded because this alone would make me look elsewhere.
    Go Suns

I've gone to a male derm for several years and I love him. There is always a nurse in the room when he does the full body exams. He has a great bedside manner and I don't feel uncomfortable around him at all. This is coming from someone who was too modest to have a pap until I got pg at age 25!

At the derm I go to now, she always has an assistant with her, b/c that woman takes all the notes. I would think with a full body exam, they'd have to have someone there, b/c they wouldn't want to have to change gloves after touching a pen to write something down.

FWIW, my husband went to my (female) derm for a full skin exam, and the assistant stayed in the room then, too. But again, they always do that.