Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wood Trim - should we paint it?

We will be putting in a bid on a house this week and are looking at a home that has all wood trim. The house was built in the early 80's, and right now it has all cream walls. It makes the house look very dark so we were thinking painting it all white. The problem is EVERYTHING is wood or wood-stained - even the windows.

My sister thinks the wood trim is great and that we should keep it and refurbish the wood which looks dull and flat. She thinks painting the house rich, colonial colors would make it work. Of course, DH likes this idea because it's less work.

I think wood trim is a decorating nightmare. We had wanted to put wainscotting and crown moulding in many of the rooms. My DH did this in our current home and it looks really nice. We also have alot of black furniture and nost of our picture frames our black as well.

I have no decorating sense at all -so I am very open to suggestions! TIA!

On one hand, I don't like painting wood trim - but, if it's from the 80's it might not be all that nice anyways.

The downside to painting wood trim is that there is upkeep to it - paint gets scuffed, touch ups are needed, etc. With wood trim, it's pretty much good to go.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

I know some people like wood trim, but I personally really dislike it. When I moved into our house, DH was in the process of stripping paint off the trim in the living room. It had taken him forever and it really didn't look good. I know it hadn't been stained yet and wasn't in its final state, but it was just dark and ugly and oppressive to my taste. I finally persuaded him to let me paint it and it made a huge difference in the overall look of the house. (And he even agreees!)

Quote Originally Posted by jennylou View Post
    On one hand, I don't like painting wood trim - but, if it's from the 80's it might not be all that nice anyways.

The downside to painting wood trim is that there is upkeep to it - paint gets scuffed, touch ups are needed, etc. With wood trim, it's pretty much good to go.

Exactly! We are not talking about ruining the beautiful wood finishes from an early 1900's colonial! I don't really think it would be a "sin" as my sister calls it, to paint over wood trim from the 80's! The home is in New England so I "get" the look she and my DH are trying to push for but since I'm a little challenged in this area it would be very difficult for me to get it all to work. Good point on the upkeep.

TEnofcups - I agree, I really dislike the look of wood trim. I think DH is just trying to cut down on the work we will have to do and I can't blame him. But since we hope this is the home we will be in for the next 20 years I think its worth the extra effort.

I have not seen any pics of wood trim online that I find appealing. I guess it's really uncommon these days?

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!

You know, I only see wood trim when I am watching House Hunters and they are up North and I always think to myself "That looks really awful". I don't know if it's because I have always lived with painted trim and the wood looks 'weird' to me or if it reminds me of the 80's. I would paint it though!

Now, as you say, if you lived in a historic house, I would have a totally different answer!!
    Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

Sin: painting over beautiful 80 year old wood
    Not Sin: painting over builder's grade wood from the 80's.

Also, get ready to paint like 4 layers. We painted alllllll the trim in our last house until my hand was curled into a claw. Two coats of primer, 2-3 coats gloss. At our next house we just pulled up the baseboards and replaced them with white ones!

I posted earlier, but want to clarify that I am guilty of the so-called sin of painting over 100-year-old wood. I find it curious that somehow old wood is considered better than new wood.

I can't forget picking up a book in the bookstore and laughing out loud when the author made the point that frequently wood used in old houses was cheap and *intended* to be painted at that time as well. Dh wasn't all that amused when I pointed it out to him as he's of the belief that all wood should be "natural" (staining and poly are ok, but not painting). Despite that, he couldn't believe how much better our living room looked once the wood trim, windows and window sills, and even the fireplace surround were painted.

If someone likes unpainted wood, great. But I just don't get the value judgments attached to it.

On the one hand, I can appreciate that 80s wood trim might look better painted; on the other, I'm sure that's what the previous owners of our house thought when they painted over our wood trim in 1926!

Would it be possible for you to hire a painter to come in and spray out all the trim white? Our friends bought a house last year that had all wood trim, doors, windows etc. They hired a pro to come in and paint it all white and it looked amazing afterward. Maybe this would be a happy compromise for you to get white trim and your DH to not have to paint it all?

Default Wood vs painted trim

I have wood trim and I love the look of it. I have painted trim in my basement and the wood trim looks better after 18 years. Wood trim is more forgiving if you have kids. It doesn't show the marks and doesn't seem to "skuff" up. Probably because of the varnish. I am not trying to insult anyone, but when I see painted trim I think that a house was done cheaply, because wood trim costs so much more. The builders like the painted trim because it costs alot less and if they make a mistake they can just caulk it and no one knows.