Quantcast
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Do you sign your name and/or write in red ink?

This evening I returned a pair of jeans to a Gap store and was asked to sign the return receipt. When I was handed what looked like a red pen I said, "Oh, is this a red pen?" The cashier said, "Yes" and then I said, "May I have another pen please?" The cashier told me it was ok to sign with a red pen but I let him know that I don't sign with red pens. He looked really puzzled and all of a sudden I realized that I am not even sure why I don't sign with red pens.

On my way home, I thought about the fact that my mother used to tell people she wouldn't sign in red for religious reasons. Then I thought about the fact that growing up my teachers used red ink to point out errors. Next I thought about my first job EVER (which btw was at Gap when I was 16) and they told us not to let people sign in red ink - that of course was back when carbon paper was used on credit card slips and you had to manually run the credit card thru (UGH!).

So, now I am wondering if I am alone in my need to use blue or black ink when signing and if you don't sign in red ink...why?

I sign in red. Or whatever color's available, especially if it's just a receipt. (I wouldn't sign anything important in red.)

FWIW, I was a teacher and I never graded in red. I used purple, pink, green, or some other color.

Yes. Mostly because I bought a lot of red pens for grading and they are often the only ones I can find. It isn't just you, though. I could only find a red pen to write a check with and my husband objected. I don't think he was sure why, either. I did it anyway .
    Megan and Derek: 6/15/02, Dean: 6/27/05, Reed: 10/3/07, Ruby: 11/21/11
    My determined purpose is that I may know Him.

Of course I do...I love colored pens and will sign in any color available! Gold, purple, pink, silver, orange...WHATEVER!!
    Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

Yes, I'll write with whatever, although red is not my first choice!

Doesn't matter to me what color the pen is as long as it works

It looks like PinkMartini also likes to type in red!

I write in whatever I have handy. I have been known to write checks in red, green, purple, metallic gel, etc. It is just the fun thing to do.

I like to sign in blue. It is harder to photocopy.

If it's just for my own purpose, I write in all sorts of colors, if it's something like signing my name to something it's blue.

FWIW, when I used to babysit, they paid me by check. I used to get weirded out when they wrote it out in red. I didn't think the bank would accept it, so it's not just you.
    Kyle Jordan 5/2/09---such a prince

Philly girl at heart <3

I've never really thought about it. I only use blue or black ink so I don't even own a red pen, and I detest when bosses use red ink to do edits (mine uses blue ink). I dunno, something about being back in school or something.

We had a subcontractor who'd sign ALL her documents with a purple glitter pen. I thought it was kinda cute.

As far as blue being harder to photocopy, I didn't know that. I've never had a problem photocopying any color, except highlighter yellow.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

I don't know why, but I also feel that I just shouldn't sign in red.