Quantcast

Default Dog making weird hairball noise???

Lately my dog has been acting like he is trying to cough up a hairball, but nothing ever comes up. So he sounds like he is trying to cough something up. He has been doing this many times a day recently. He has always had a little asthma type breathing-getting really exciting and then making a weird gasping, full body pant.

Does anyone know what is going on? I read that hairballs aren't very common in dogs, so I don't know if that is what it is. He is a Yorkie, if that matters. Should I take him to the vet, or is this normal dog behavior?

THANKS!

A persistent cough like that is definitely something you should get checked out!

Sorry--I have no idea what the answer is, but I am posting to say that the other night my dog had the same thing! It woke me up and I thought he was choking because it was such an odd noise. Fortunately, he wasn't.

I hope someone knows the answer, but in the meantime if I were you I'd monitor it, and if it gets worse, phone the vet or take him in, especially since this is new behavior for him.

Have you made any changes in his food, treats, or anything that could be causing it? Is he drinking enough water?

Carrie - my big dog had that once...it got so bad very quickly to where I ended up on the couch with him while he did that all night and he started getting foam in his mouth as well. The next morning we went to the vet and basically, he had strep throat! He went on antibiotics and was better in a few days. I had no idea dogs could get strep throat but his poor throat was bright red and inflamed...his gums were white, poor fella was miserable!

I'd take your guy to the vet on Monday, just to make sure it isn't an infection!
    Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

Thanks for the help! I took him to the vet today, and he has bronchitis. Poor little guy. He got it from us, which I didn't really think dogs could do. Apparently, they can. He even had a fever. The vet gave him a steroid shot, some antibiotics, and said I could give him people OTC cough syrup.

ewww...bronchitis is not fun - I can't imagine my dog having it. I hope the shots and antibiotics work and he is better in no time!
    Cry me a river, build a bridge, and get over it!

Wow! Interesting thread! My Tasha will cough like that but only ocasionally; I hope against hope she just has a "tickle" or needs some water because I can't afford a trip to the vet anytime soon.....
    CLICK TO HELP FEED SHELTER ANIMALS!
    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...faces?siteId=3

He was coughing like that every time he exerted himself and probably 3-4 times an hour during the day and a few times at night. It definitely wasn't just a normal, once in awhile cough!