Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Getting the wrinkles out of a silk Dress

I just bought a silk dress to wear to a wedding on Saturday. It's pretty wrinkled. I am sure I can probably take it to the dry cleaners and have them steam it but I was wondering if there is any way to get the wrinkles out myself. I don't own a steamer so that is not an option. I am afraid to iron it because it's so delicate. My co-worker suggested I hang it in the bathroom with the hot shower on. I have never tried it but I didn't really think that worked. Has anyone done this or do you have any other suggestions.

Thanks

Is it wrinkled or really heavily creased (as in fold marks)? For lightweight fabrics that are generally wrinkled, I do the hang-in-the-bathroom trick a day or so beforehand, to give the wrinkles enough time to fall out completely. If it's too wrinkled for that, I'll also use a warm iron, but obviously you have to be very careful with that.
    Find Me on LJ
    "The safe is the enemy of the satisfying" - Anna Quindlen

Sometimes the shower thing works, but for $7-12 I'd take it to the dry cleaners .

The shower never works for me. But if you have a steam setting on your iron, you can use it as a steamer. Basically hang the dress up, and hold the iron upright in front of it while pressing the steam blaster button. It works really well.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

Thanks for the suggestions girls. I don't have a problem taking it to the drycleaners but the wedding is tomorrow and I am still deciding between two dresses. I think I might just break down and buy a steamer.

Thanks Again

The shower thing never works for me either. I'd use my iron on a silk setting and press it, unless it was heavily beaded.
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

Quote Originally Posted by tlew12778 View Post
    The shower never works for me. But if you have a steam setting on your iron, you can use it as a steamer. Basically hang the dress up, and hold the iron upright in front of it while pressing the steam blaster button. It works really well.
    This is what I do. The shower trick has never worked for me, but a quick steam with my iron does.
    "It's just a fact."
    My LJ
    Ava 12.16.03/James 03.29.07

Quote Originally Posted by tlew12778 View Post
    But if you have a steam setting on your iron, you can use it as a steamer. Basically hang the dress up, and hold the iron upright in front of it while pressing the steam blaster button. It works really well.
    That's so cool -- I never thought of using my iron as a steamer, but it seems so obvious!
    L+P 5.24.03
    ::LJ::

snowzilla Guest

The shower worked for me on my wedding veil, but I don't think I've tried anything of a heavier weight. I'm lazy, so I'd just take it to the cleaners and have it steamed.

Just a word of caution if you use your iron as a steamer (and you don't usually use the steam function)--you might want to "test" it first to make sure there is no dirt/rust/other gunk that comes out. This is probably b/c I almost never use my iron , but I ruined a shirt b/c the "steam" was dirty (I think rust, but I'm not sure).