39 54.17%
  • Some are textured and others are smooth

7 9.72%
  • coo coo ca choo

1 1.39%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Sophia Guest

Default Walls: Textured or Smooth?

When I first started watching all the design shows I was frequently baffled as to how they could paint stripes, etc, on walls and get such nice, crisp edges with no bleed through. After a while (and probably after some good close up shots ) it dawned on me that the walls on all these shows were smooth, whereas all the walls around where I live have texture (knockdown, orange peels, etc). I've also noticed here on CC that most seem to have smooth walls.

So, do the walls in your house smooth or textured?

For the purposes of this poll, I'm only asking about non-wallpapered, non-paneled walls made of drywall or plaster.

My current apartment has smooth, not that it matters, I'm not allowed to paint. I lived in a house with textured walls, though, and they were a TOTAL bitch to paint. So I think if I went house shopping, smooth walls would be high on my wish list!

Sophia Guest

See, I've only ever had/painted textured walls, and I love that I don't have to sand the walls.

I hate textured walls. The ones in my house look like someone took a feather duster and stuck it in plaster and plopped it on the wall. I have no idea how this could have ever been in style. I have three rooms that have smooth walls but they used to have wallpaper on them. I peeled it off when we moved in and painted. Now it's just the bedrooms that are textured. Blech.
    Dirk & Amy 9.18.04
    Aaron 3.20.07
    Sydney and Elle 5.15.09

I think textured walls are so 80s. I hate them. If you make a hole in them and then for some reason or another have to fill that hole up it is nearly impossible to make it invisible. I also think they are rather ugly.

I think that textured walls are sort of a regional thing -- something you see a lot in the Southwest, but not so much elsewhere.

My walls are smooth.

We have beautiful textured walls. They look hand plastered. I think they look really nice. Our house is 60 years old and is stucco, so they seem appropriate.

Our last house had the spay on texture. It was fine, not too exciting. I like our new walls a lot better.

Sophia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsan View Post
    I think textured walls are so 80s. I hate them. If you make a hole in them and then for some reason or another have to fill that hole up it is nearly impossible to make it invisible. I also think they are rather ugly.
    All the new construction here has textured walls. And I've found it very easy to hide patched holes on textured walls because it doesn't have to be perfect the way it would on a smooth wall.

Sophia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MLA View Post
    I think that textured walls are sort of a regional thing -- something you see a lot in the Southwest, but not so much elsewhere.

My walls are smooth.
    Yeah, I think it must be regional because I can't think of a single house around here (old, brand new, anything) that had smooth walls.

I like smooth walls best because it just looks more sophisticated to me, but I have knockdown walls. Pffffft.
    "Keep your bleep bleep government hands off my Medicare!" - angry protester at healthcare reform townhall