Quantcast
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default What color paint goes with blue bath fixtures?

My house was built in 1951 and still has most of the original fixtures. While I don't love the blue sink, toliet and tub/tiles, unless someone is wiring some $$$ I have to live with it.

When we bought the house 3 years ago, it was redecorated in groovin' 70's style. This bathroom had brown industrial carpet glue down, brown and red striped wallpaper and a matching curtain hiding the glass shower doors.

I stripped the wallpaper, removed the drape and pulled up the carpet. Removed all the carpet glue so the original tiles were now visable. I painted the walls apple green.

I'm sick of it now. I've just been to Lowe's for paint samples.

Suggestions please!!!! Brown, Grey, the horid beige??? I'm a color person and a white wall hater.

P.S. This is the bath that my kids share (15 & 12) and our hall bath.

The American Dream is not to own your own home but to get your kids out of it.
    -- Dick Armey

i thought the apple green looks pretty nice! what color is that?!

i supposed if you really do want to change.. maybe a light gray? eg BM revere pewter?

have you found another shower curtain? that may help too.

My initial reaction was chocolate brown. But, that might be too dark for a small bathroom. I love the combo of blue and yellow, too.

I would do blue and brown. Since all brown waals would be too dark, maybe do three walls with a light cafe au lait color (aka dark beige) an dthen one wall in a chocolate or mocha brown from teh same color group as teh cafe au lait. I would just select two colors from teh same paint strip - one light and one dark. I would use the same dark brown on cabinetry, etc. There are tons of blue and brown accessories now.

we have that same blue. i guess it was still "in style" when our house was built in 1955.

i went with benjamin moore tropical pool. it's more of a seafoam green. and i've got a tropical fish theme going on. a tropical fish shower curtain, fish clings on the window, etc. since our bathroom is so small, and there is so much tile, i had the painters also do the ceiling in the same green.

i only have a picture uploaded from when the painting was finished.

I think that a taupe color would modernize it quite a bit.

I don't know what the color name is for the apple green. I think I took a real apple in and had them color match it. It looks much yellower in the pic than it really is.

Just back from Lowe's with a few paint chip samples. Since the vanity is more of grayish, the browns looked bad, especially with the navy and blue floor. I wanted the brown too!!!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I found a chip of Laura Ashley Home, Chimney Sweep LA1616 that I think looks pretty good.

http://www.materials-world.com/paint..._ashley_07.htm

I'm hoping it won't be too dark. The ceiling will have to remain white for a little light. I think I'll get a hotel kind of white shower curtain too. Forget white towels. I have a 12 year old boy. Grey towels (they all end up gray with him anyway).

Do you believe they didn't have any sample books with blue fixtures? The nerve.

Any virtual painters out there who want to try this me? The fixtures would have to be blue of course.
    The American Dream is not to own your own home but to get your kids out of it.
    -- Dick Armey

if you want to go retro which the color of the fixtures and tile are, i would go to an orange color. i know you are probably averse to that bc the original wallpaper and carpet were orange and ugly, but i would go a more primary orange than a rust orange. i think pink would look very retro too, but since it is two boys in that bathroom, they probably wouldn't appreciate it.

i think it would look cool if it were painted bright white with a silver glaze used as an accent perhaps as a stripe or accent wall.

to get some inspiration, you could find a shower curtain that you love that works with the tile and then take your cue from the curtain as to what color you should paint the walls.

I think a tan would look nice. (We have Benjamin Moore's Stone House in our office).

I love Asha's idea about the shower curtain, though!
    ~ Jess and Jer ~ 9.15.03 ~

Honestly, I think the chimney sweep color will be too dark for a small bathroom like that. I'd be more inclined towards the "sterling" sample on that site.