Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weak Ovulation

Default Weak Ovulation

Can someone please explain to me what "weak ovulation" means? My doctor has mentioned it to me on a few occasions, but I've never bothered to ask him exactly what it means. A google search hasn't helped me either. Thanks.
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08
    Holland Georgiana 6/11/11

I was told I had one due to spotting 3dpo nearly every cycle. I think sometimes a slow temp rise after O is also another sign but don't quote me on that.

Do you chart and do you have a link to your chart?
    Loving my DDs and DS

Does this link work?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/ttc/c...iew_module.php

I've had late ovulation and my ob/gyn has mentioned this. We've tried for 4 cycles and nada. Doctor wants me to come back after 6 cycles if I'm not pregnant.

I've never had spotting except around ovulation time, but I typically ovulate around day 21 or 22, with a LP of 12ish days. Last month I actually ovulated on day 16, which surprised me.
    Last edited by linekelei; 07-24-2007 at 03:20 PM.
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08

Basically a strong O will produce a significant and steady temp rise, and the egg is supposed to be of better quality. Sometimes this means the LP will last longer, due to the corpus luteum (I guess) being stronger/lasting longer. Sometimes when women take clomid or other fertility meds, they have a stronger O, seen in a stronger temp rise, more FPS due to more progesterone produced by the corpus luteum, and a longer LP with less/no spotting.

But as to what makes one egg/ovulation better than another...that's dr stuff, I don't know.

Oh, one other thing: sometimes a "weak O" means your ovaries aren't as reliable about Oing on time or regularly, so your O day may be late or varied.

ETA: We cross posted. The link doesn't work, but a late O could be a sign of a weak O, but not always, or it's not a bad thing if you look at all the pregnancy charts on FF with "late ovulation."

To make the link work, go to "sharing" (on the left side) then "home page setup" and your chart link will be at the top under "Your Charting Home Page Web Address."
    Last edited by j*east; 07-24-2007 at 03:03 PM.
    dd july 2008
    ds march 2010
    lj

Thanks, j*east.

Does this link work?

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3b876
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08

Hmm. I am not a charting genius, but it looks like your temps and coverline fluctuate somewhat. You seem to have a clear post-O rise.

You might want to repost your question in the charting thread (the montly or "interpret my chart" one), or just wait for someone more expert to come by. Did you get to show your dr your charts?
    dd july 2008
    ds march 2010
    lj

No, I haven't showed my doctor my charts yet. I figured I would do that if I have to go back at 6 months. As for my temps, I tend to think that they fluctuate because of the room temperature and the fact that I often have 2 dogs sleeping on top of me. Sometimes I wake up drenched in sweat because of the two fur coats! Though I never really thought about the fact that my coverline and pre-O and post-O temps varied. Interesting.

I am just getting frustrated because I can't stand this fluctuating cycle-35 days, 29 days, 38 days, etc. Although I have a CBEFM, it doesn't help the fact that sometimes I'm not ovulating until day 25 of my cycle. The other weird thing is that my CM seems to dry up at least one day before I get a peak reading on my monitor. Strange, don't you think?
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08

Basically, weak ovulation means that the whole series of events isn't as strong as it could be. So in the early part of the cycle, your FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) might not be kicking in enough and/or your follicles maybe aren't developing as fast as they could (leading to a ovulation later than cd14). And when they produce an egg, it's not as mature as it should be and/or isn't the highest quality egg. Meaning, chances of a successful fertilization are lower.

That lower-quality, less-mature egg also means that your hormones after ovulation aren't as strong, either. The follice that ovulated the egg turns into the corpus luteum, which produces the progesterone in the luteal phase. (luteum...luteal ) The progesterone's jobs are in part to raise your body temp a bit to make you a good incubator and to hold the endometrial lining in place so an embryo can implant. But if the follicle and egg weren't properly developed, then the corpus luteum ends up not doing that great of a job either at making progesterone, and therefore the progesterone is lower than is could be. That means you might have low temps in the LP. It also means that the progesterone isn't able to adequately keep the lining from shedding, which leads to spotting or a short LP.

The idea is that with fertility medication (clomid, femara, or FSH shots) it would fill in for your natural FSH to stimulate your ovaries to produce a higher-quality, more mature egg. And that increases your chances of both fertilization and a healthy embryo. And as a consequence you would produce more progesterone in the LP, increasing your chances of a successful ovulation. Hope that all made sense!
    Last edited by Scooter; 07-24-2007 at 04:33 PM. Reason: clarity

Scooter-Made sense. Thank you for the explanation!
    Logan Sophia 8/5/08

See, I knew someone would come along to give a better explanation!
    dd july 2008
    ds march 2010
    lj