Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken Toe WILL NOT HEAL

I broke my toe (the one next to the big toe) over a year ago. I didn't go to the doctor because other people told me all the doctor would do is tape it to my other toe and send me on my way. It seemed to be all better after 2 or 3 weeks, but the next time I wore heels, it hurt again. I wore flats for a few weeks to give it more time to heal, but then tried wearing heels again and it hurt again. I gave it a few more weeks to rest, and then I found that sometimes I was fine in heels and other times it hurt. (Still, I only wear them a couple times a month.)

Here's the real problem: It is the middle of summer, I have worn nothing but flip flops for the past 2 months at least, and my toe hurts worse than ever! It has been well over a year since I broke the toe, and I don't recall doing anything to re-injure it. Now it hurts with every single step I take, regardless of whether I am wearing shoes or not, and I have been limping around the house for a few days.

What is the deal?????

I would head to the doctor, could have been a stress fracture. Do you know for sure it was broken and not just sprained? Sprains hurt long after the injury is done and reoccur whenever. (I thought I broke my ankle from getting hit by a car, they checked it at the doctors the next day and it was very badly sprained and I still have issues with it, happened 18 yrs ago)
    Mommy to Easton, Julianna and Katelyn, missing my Rebekah

Sophia Guest

I agree--go see a doctor.

I have the same experience as ericka. I sprained the muscles across the top of my foot while on vacation in 2002 and I still have pain on and off there, especially if I wear heals or do some intense exercise involving those muscles.

Maybe you should stop wearing flipflops. If you hurt the toe that the strap goes against, it may be putting more strain on that toe than you realize to wear flipflops.

Definitely go to the doctor and see if they'll give you one of those special shoes. I sprained my little toe in December (thought I broke it) and I had to wear the shoe for 6 weeks. It really helped me heal, though the toe does pain in some types of heels.

Man, I was hoping to avoid the cost of xrays...Sigh.

Is it possible to sprain something by catching it on the vacuum cleaner??? It hurt so bad, I just assumed it was broken.

If it hurt that much, you probably broke it, especially if you had really bad bruising afterwards.

I suspect it's the flipflops - I don't wear them at all because of the strain they put on my toes. My poor flat feet can't handle it. A shoe built like that not only rubs against your toe, it usually causes you to curl your toes ever so slightly when walking to keep the shoe on (you probably don't even notice you're doing it). Doing that all day, every day could easily aggravate on old injury.
    Find Me on LJ
    "The safe is the enemy of the satisfying" - Anna Quindlen

A bad strain can seem like a break. My little toe swelled up and turned purple all the way around. The bruising even spread up into my foot. I assumed it was broken but the xrays said otherwise.

I totally agree with keska, strains actually hurt sometimes worse than breaks do (I have broken a finger and sprained an ankle and it's a similar pain, but the sprains are reoccurring pain)

Shelby - you can definitely sprain it on anything, even just stubbing it against something. My dr never did x-rays on my ankles, just was able to fee them and knew they were both badly sprained.
    Mommy to Easton, Julianna and Katelyn, missing my Rebekah

Yup. Go to the doctor. My BFF lived w/foot pain for years after not going to the doctor after she was sure she'd broken her toe (her mom didn't believe her about breaking it). It never healed right. She ended up having surgery on the toe, which was a PITA, but she feels SOOO much better now -- no pain any more!

Ditto that about seeing the doc. I broke my sesmoid bone almost 2 years ago now and it still give me problems. Although it was because the temp doc I was seeing didn't want to send me for a bone scan (which identifies stress fractures). I didn't get the process done until 4 months after the injury...long story short, they caught the stress fracture way to late and now that bone is permanently cracked

I have to wear orthotics with special cut-outs in them to relieve the pressure from that area, plus have my running shoes cut out too so that I can exercise pain free.

My sports med doc told me the only way to fix it is to see a special surgeon in NY and the surgery is crazy expensive...so I deal with my modified shoes...