Quantcast

Default cleaner to remove lipstick and blush from tile and grout! Help!!!

My darling, sweet and innocent 1 1/2 year old twin boys decided to get into my makeup while I was on the phone. They colored my bathroom floor (tile and grout), the off-white cabinetry, and their clothes with lipstick. They also opened my blush (Physicians Formula kind, with lots of loose little balls) and drop them all over the floor, and proceeded to crush them. Oh, and its on my white floor mats too.

While I was trying to wipe it all up, then they opened shampoo and dumped that down too! Grr!! So now they are watching Signing Times videos and having a snack while I try to figure out how to clean this mess up and get the stains out.

Any ideas???
    Tina & Travis, married July 4, 2003
    Pete and Nate, born July 23, 2005
    LJ ~*~ Website

snowzilla Guest

Hooboy. I'm not even sure what to suggest. I might just go straight for a diluted bleach solution for the grout , and see if that does the trick. I don't know about the mats though.

FWIW, DD (my now-9-year-old) and her older brother, when they were tots, once opened up about 50 bottles of nail polish in various colors, poured it all over themselves, and made snow angels on my bedspread.

Well, I can kind of relate because we just tiled our floors during mud season - and of course I haven't had time to seal it.

I've found a lot comes up with patience, water, and a cleaning brush - brush lightly, rinse, repeat. You can use some sort of cleaner (I used fantastic heavy duty on mine) and see how that goes. I know goof off is a fabulous solvent, but I'm not sure if it's good for grout or not. Also, try a scotch brite pad if you need to muscle it a little more.

Good luck!
    She'd be his wife and make him her husband 5/03Ds1 12/22/09...Ds2 8/31/12

I've never tried it myself but I hear the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders! Good luk!
    M&J 8/24/01
    Thomas 2/14/06Lily 3/13/08Amelia EDD 10/6/11

I was going to suggest a Magic Eraser, too.

It could be worse--you could have these two kids!

Johnny's Girl:

QP: I don't have any suggestions in addition to those posted above. Just offering good luck
    PSU + USNA -- 2001
    PSUSNA -- 2005

johnsgirl, please tell me it's not paint!!

The photo that Johnny'sgirl posted was on a Fark photoshop contest so I doubt it is actually real.

To answer QPDoll- YIKES! So sorry about your bathroom- thanks for the reminder to get gates installed! You can make a paste of bleach and baking soda and put it on the grout. Leave it on for about 5 minutes, and then wipe it off. You may get some residue, but it is only baking soda, and you can generally just sweep it up. I use this to clean my white grout and tile.
    US 07.17.04 DS 02.14.06 DS 02.22.08

Thanks everyone! I did straight bleach followed by comet and it got it all out. For the mats, I did a pre-wash with oxy-clean, with a hot wash with lots of bleach. It got *most* of it out, just don't look really close. The clothes though, Im afraid are goners (whaaaa!!!!). My DH LHAO when I told him.

Gates, yes gates. But we have a really small house and gates already everywhere! We usually just leave the bathroom door closed, but oops...

so now we are getting magnetic safety latches so they wont be able to open drawers or doors up - not even a crack like they can do with the standard latches!!

Thanks again!
    Tina & Travis, married July 4, 2003
    Pete and Nate, born July 23, 2005
    LJ ~*~ Website