Quantcast

Default Upper lip attached to gums?

I was trying to look at Tristan's upper gums today and realized that I could not lift his upper lip because it is attached to his gums. (It is attached by the thin piece of skin that everyone has under their upper lip in the middle) On him that piece of skin comes down to the bottom of his upper lip and to the bottom of his gums. (In my own mouth that piece of skin ends somewhere in the middle)

He doesn't see his ped again until March and I certainly don't think warrants a separate visit, but I am very curious as to whether not not this is common and if it is something he will outgrow or if it has to be fixed.

I have seen a few babies who have this. It is similar to tounge tie if you have ever heard of that. We call it a "tight" upper labial frenulum although I'm going to guess that's not the medical term, lol. I really only know how this "affects" the baby from a breastfeeding perspective but normally if he is gaining fine and mom isn't in pain there isn't an issue. It is my understanding that it recedes on its own eventually. With tounge tie there is some indication that it could cause speech problems later in life but I'm not sure if that would be the same issue in this case. At any rate, I think you are right that there is no reason to be alarmed. I'm sure your doctor has seen this sort of thing a lot.
    Catalina 2005/Mateo 2009/Beatriz 2012

I have heard of being "tongue tied." I figured this would be similar, but it has never caused any problems for him while eating.

Frenulum... is that what that piece of skin is called? I'll bet that will help with my Google searching.

Thanks!

DD was tongue tied (though not severe enough to effect feeding) but we had the procedure done at 6 weeks so she wouldn't need to have it done later on. If a procedure is needed to fit the upper lip it is very minor. The doctor cut the frenulum and the caudorized (??spelling)) it to seal the cut. He gave her Tylenol right away and then we did a precautionary dose of Tylenol 4 hours later. There was no follow-up needed.

Makes me want to go check my DD's upper lip.
    J&D - May 2005 *** E - 8/7/06 *** J - 3/17/09

DD has a little piece of skin attached but I can lift her lip. I believe that piece of skin is called the frenulum. I brought this up the ped and he wasn't concerned. He said that eventually she will fall and the skin will break or her teeth will push together and break the skin. If I rub my tongue along my upper gums I an feel a flap of skin. I think this is what DD will eventually have.
    Kelly & Chris ~ 5/17/03
    Lauren ~ 11/23/05
    Andrew ~ 4/5/08

I was born with a "tight frenulum" on my upper lip. (sounds much dirtier than it really is ) My orthodontist had it clipped in the 3rd grade. He said it was keeping my front teeth gapped and in order to bring them closer with braces, it would need clipped. I had it done the same time I had 4 baby teeth pulled. They removed the entire frenulum. It was really no big deal. I never miss it. I don't know if it was really the reason my teeth were gapped. My mom had a horrible gap and her frenulum was just fine.