Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My Dog Puked & Pooped Worms!

For the past week or so my dog has been acting really weird: Lacking energy , not enthused,etc.

However yesterday, she pucked and in the puke there were worms! The worms looked like maggots large and small. some were more white looking and the others (larger ones ) looked off white.

Needless to say I was mortified! Although she is 12 years old, I do not want to lose my dog. I ran to the store and got some worm medicine to put in her food in hopes that this will help her out.

Later on that evening, I asked her if she wanted to go outside. She normally jumps at the opportunity but she didn't move. Then I grabbed her leash and she struggled to get up. Once she got up She peed on herself! I wanted to cry because I am thinking that if she is losing her bodily functions, the end is coming soon. However I walked her around and she seemed okay. When I went into the back yard, I noticed poop with worms in it...I am thinking ,OMG...

This morning she seems 100% better as opposed to yesterday and she has alot of energy. Thank goodness for that!

Do you think I need to consult with a Vet at this time? Or wait until I'm finished with the worm medication? She is the sweetest thing in the world and I want to make sure she will get through this.

Sheba... My Shuga Bear....

If it were me, I would call the vet.
    Married Life Begins 4.26.03
    Life with our Son Begins 6.22.08

I would take her to the vet ASAP since she is acting lethargic. Don't wait but do remember to take with you information on the medication you have already given her.

Small white worms that look like grains of rice would be tapeworms - they get those from ingesting fleas. But if its a mix of large and small worms than I'm not sure what it would be.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

I'd call the vet immediately, and I'd also save some of the worms if I could so I could bring them to the vet and allow them to more easily figure out what they are dealing with.
    'Thou shalt not' might reach the head, but it takes 'Once upon a time' to reach the heart.-Philip Pullman

I agree -- take her to the vet and bring a vomitus and stool specimen if you can.

Sounds to me like it's also roundworms in addition to tapeworms.
    Aka Stinky Wizzelteats... AKA Stinky Wizzelteats.....

May the bluebird of happiness STILL fly up your nose!

I'd get her to the vet asap and bring a sample. Worms can be treatable but the longer you let it go the more damage they can do.
    May those who love us love us. And for those who don't, may God turn their hearts. And if not, may God turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!

I've never came across a situation like this and it really freaked me out!
    I am going to set up an appointment with a vet to get her in. If I can, I will definately get a sample.

She back to her old self. Her appetite is back and she is bitching like usual LMAO.... She is taking the OTC meds I got her really well (as long as I mix it with roast beef!) and she has alot of energy....

ITA with the others- call the vet. You want to make sure you are using the right medication for the kind of worm you're seeing, and you want to do the right dose. Dogs with severe infestations can get blocked from masses of worms.

The first thing you should have done was taken her to the vet.
    BE SMART-Spay/neuter your pet!

Quote Originally Posted by Chile
    The first thing you should have done was taken her to the vet.

ITA Chile:

However with me panicking I am going by the advice of my FH.. He claims the VET is too expenive (so what! ) and went to the pet store and got this medicine....

Now this is my take on it: Why treat an animal in such a f-ked up manner? Why let it suffer? To me, he does not care. It's his damn dog and it is amazing how much I care for it than he does.... So I swiped his credit card and we are going!