Quantcast

Default fever, rash and swollen hands/feet??

DD had a fever of 101 yesterday and today it's staying in the 99-100 range. This morning she broke out in a rash (looked live hives) in her genital region, under arms, on her hands/feet, and a few red bumps on her back. I'm treating the fever and waiting it out until I can call her pediatrician first thing tomorrow. However, parts of her hands have been red and swollen since this morning. Her feet were swollen but have gone down. She just woke up from her nap and now her right upper eyelid is red and swollen. All of this swelling is worrying me. I'm wondering if anyone has had this happen to their DC?
    J&J ~ 10.25.03
    DD ~ 01.17.06
    DS ~ 04.09.09

Can you call your Ped just to ask what she thinks? You might be fine just treating her at home for today and seeing her in the office tomorrow, but she might think it's urgent enough to warrant an ER visit.

From googling, it appears it can be something very mild or something very serious.
    My Projects - House stuff, sewing, gardening, etc....
    #1 - Andrew Wyatt, our angel #2 - Nora Grace (8/06) - our VBAC rainbow baby, #3 - Joshua Edward (9/08) - another VBAC, #4 - Charlotte Jane(2/11)

Sounds like Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease aka Coxsackievirus . They get little blisters in their mouth, throat, hands, feet, and genital region. Nothing you can really do for it other than give something for the pain and lots of fluids. I would also suggest popcicles for her poor throat. I hope she's better soon.

Sounds like Hand, Foot, Mouth disease to me, too. I'd still call the Ped tomorrow though, just to be on the safe side. Our neighbors have a 2 year old and her cousins had H/F/M disease, didn't know and visited their house. The dad got H/F/M disease, but the 2 year old and the mom did not. He said it was really difficult to walk and his hands and feet were very itchy. He also had swelling. I hope she feels better soon.

Love your avatar, BTW!!

Thanks for replying! We gave DD a little bit of benadryl for the rash and swelling and it's gone down. Her fever has gone down too. I'm definitely giving the ped a call first thing tomorrow.
    J&J ~ 10.25.03
    DD ~ 01.17.06
    DS ~ 04.09.09

I agree with the other posters about the Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease. Jack was diagnosed with it about a month ago. Our Ped. said to alternate Tylenol and Motrin every 3 hours and to give Benedryl if needed because the itch nerves and pain nerves are so close together. We only used the Benedryl at nap and night time because it knocked hit out, but it really did help him sleep. It was a rough couple of days, but he did get over it pretty quickly. I notified his daycare and she sprayed everything down with the Clorox Everywhere spray. I did the same at home. I also kept him home for a couple of days. Our Ped. also recommended sterilizing his bottles and sippy cups daily until it was gone to prevent it from reoccurring. My DH or I never got it.

But, it still wouldn't hurt to call you Ped. He/she may have some other suggestions. Good luck! PM me if you have anymore questions for a "been there done that" mom!
    Sara ~ Wife: 12/18/04 Mommy: 2/8/06
    "Faith can't be taught, it's just something that is caught along the way" ~ Mark Schultz

DD and I have been home for three days w/ H/F/M and her symptoms were exactly as you described. i felt HORRIBLE the first day but have been getting better other than my throat still killing me. pediatrician said to give her motrin, then wait half an hour and give her tylenol and then repeat after 6-8 hours and also to give benadryl before bed. i might have the only child in the world who doesn't sleep any differently w/ benadryl in her system. :rolleyes she has been waking up every three hours.
    Catalina 2005/Mateo 2009/Beatriz 2012