Quantcast

Default Getting ink out of a microfiber sofa?

My dd got ahold of a ball point pen the other day and before I could grab it from her, she drug it across the couch leaving a couple marks. I tried the cleaning solution that came with it, but it isn't even touching it. Any other ideas? Even if you've never had to get ink out, what do you use to clean your microfiber furniture with? I'm a little scared to try anything else other than what came with it for fear it might make it even worse.
    DD8 DD6 DS1.5 DD 10.26.13

My mom got ink off of a leather ottoman with hair spray when my bro and I were little (HE did it!). One of my friend's DD's colored with ink on her wall a few months ago, I told her about the hair spray, and that worked on her wall, too. You might want to try that unless someone else has a suggestion for something they used on microfiber.

Can you remove the covers? If so, I would take it immediately to a dry cleaner and ask they work on it with spot removal. Tell them it is ink.

You can try mineral spirits. I have used this to great success in removing printers's ink from linen and roofing tar from a sweatshirt. It is non-acidic. Dab it on - soak the area, let it loosen the ink, and pull the ink up with a q-tip or cotton ball, changing frequently. You will have to wash or febreaze the area or cushion to remove the smell of mineral spirits.

Good luck!

The two things I've heard take ink out are hairspray and rubbing alcohol. For my clothes I usually do the alcohol & rinse, then repeat as many times as needed. If it's not a part of the couch you can rinse off, I'd try the hairspray first. I don't know why those wouldn't work for microfiber.

While conducting a search on tips to clean my microfiber furniture, I found this thread.

This is what I've found on the web:

Removing Ink From Microfiber

This sight also has More techniques for cleaning microfiber like removing urine, lipstick, and water marks.

I tried the technique for removing the water marks, and it works really well.

Just thought I'd add this in case someone else stumbled onto this thread....
    :: Once Upon A Type ::
    :: Baby Boy-1.10.08 ::
    :: New Baby- June, 2010:

When my dogs got some unknown substance on our microfiber couch I took the covers off, used stain stick and washed them on cold, delicate and dried on low. It was amazing as they look brand new. I now wash them once a quater! The tags on my couch don't recommend this but it worked for me.

I clean my light tan microfiber sofa, that is constantly gross-ified by my bulldog, with a face cloth, water, and dish soap! It looks just as it did when I bought it 3 years ago. Make sure you scrub the entire cushion/area so that you don't see dried water marks.

I learned this from the guy who came out to "professionally clean" my sofa after all the cleaners the warranty people sent me weren't getting my sofa clean. I was shocked this was all I needed to do..... granted I haven't had to get out ball point pen, but it's worth a shot! The pro told me all the cleaning agents that the warranty people had been sending me could actually ruin my sofa.

Once it dries, you just rub it with your (clean) hand and it becomes soft again.

good luck!

Oops, I never updated this.

It came out! It must have faded when I finally quit staring at it wondering how I could have been so stupid to leave a pen out with new sand colored sofa and a toddler. I scrubbed it with the cleaner the couch came with.

The covers don't come off (or at least I don't think they do, I'll have to look to make sure). This is a dumb question, but do you use a soapy wash cloth, or do you put the dish soap on it directly?
    DD8 DD6 DS1.5 DD 10.26.13

Quote Originally Posted by Kanga View Post
    This is a dumb question, but do you use a soapy wash cloth, or do you put the dish soap on it directly?

I use a soapy wash cloth.

So glad it came out! I heart microfiber

I used a soapy wash cloth, and it worked really well!
    :: Once Upon A Type ::
    :: Baby Boy-1.10.08 ::
    :: New Baby- June, 2010: