Quantcast

Default Filipino wedding - appropriate gift

I was just wondering what is a traditional wedding gift for a filipino wedding in the United States - money or an actual wrapped gift.

Thanks!!

The tradition is the same as here in the US. If they are registered somewhere, you could go that route. However, from personal experience, money seems to be the gift of choice for most Filipinos.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy. - Billy Currington.

Thank you Southlooper! I had no idea if anyone would read this in time. I just checked out the registry and it's pretty empty and the wedding is tomorrow, so $$ it is. Do you have any suggestions on how much? I went to school with the bride and we meet up about once a year for dinner and drinks. I've never met the groom or any family on either side.

Personally the amount of money I give depends on the relationship. For close friends and family we give/spend about $100. For "good" friends we tend to spend/give about $50.

Really what ever you can afford will be appreciated.

Have fun and bring some dollar bills just inccase there is a money dance.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy. - Billy Currington.

A milllion thanks!!!

Personally the amount of money I give depends on the relationship. For close friends and family we give/spend about $100. For "good" friends we tend to spend/give about $50.

Really what ever you can afford will be appreciated.

Have fun and bring some dollar bills just inccase there is a money dance.
    I agree. For immediate family, you may give from $200 to $500! Money (checks are fine) in a nice card is a very acceptable gift. Definitely bring $1 or $5 for the money dance and participate! Also many Filipinos will fold money into crowns, sashes, etc., and pin dollar dance it on their clothes. Also be prepared for a lot of interactive/line dance type songs. Filipino weddings are fun and the dancing tends to go for at least 3 hours - be prepared to have a great time!

If you see a whole roasted pig (head on) don't be grossed out - it's very good.

Oh, and the ladies tend to dress very nicely, so if you wear a spaghetti strap cocktail dress with strappy sandals, you will not be overdressed!
    Last edited by DiscoDiva; 09-15-2006 at 06:08 PM.
    "I am no skillful avoid gathering the people together, except when there was occasion, and received." ~ SPAM email

Disco Diva - you just saved my life/reputation. I was going to wear an Ann Taylor Loft outfit that's sort of funky, but not too dressy. I'll pull out my cocktail dress instead. Thank goodness I stopped in to check this forum before I got ready to go.