Quantcast

Default How Many Bananas In A Cup?

B over-estimated the number of bananas he'd eat before they all turned brown sitting on the counter. So I'm thinking of making this Banana Bread Recipe from allrecipes.com tomorrow, and it says, "2 1/3 cup mashed bananas." How many bananas is that, do you think?

And a secondary question -- if I used, say, 2.75 cups or so, just to use the whole banana if I needed to, do you suppose that would be a bad thing?
    Janey.

No it's fine. It depends on how big the banana is (well was). One banana, shriveled and brown, can be like 1/2c-1c. You have to just eyeball it. It will be fine if you use too much banana. It will suck if you don't use enough. I actually double the banana in the Betty Crocker recipe.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

Id say 1 per cup. It doesnt hurt though to add more banana then the recipe actually calls for. I do it quite frequently to use up whatever we have.
    Kristen & Jason 5/19/06
    Our Peanut has arrived 5/20/09
    Our Bean has arrived 11/30/11

I just made banana bread the other day and it worked out to 2 very ripe bananas per cup once they were mashed. They were average-sized bananas, so if you have smaller/bigger ones you'll have to adjust.

I just keep mashing until the measuring cup is full, and if it doesn't come out evenly I throw in the rest of the banana for good measure. But I agree that one mashed banana usually makes a little more than 1/2 cup.
    Find Me on LJ
    "The safe is the enemy of the satisfying" - Anna Quindlen

The banana bread is in the oven. It took all 5 bananas to get 2 1/3 cup... so good thing B didn't use any in his shake this morning!

I hope it turns out... I also used Smart Balance Light instead of butter, and egg beaters instead of eggs. We'll see...
    Janey.

Well, it looks pretty good:

The pan I baked it in is my Pumpkin Bread Pan -- it has vines and pumpkins all over the bottom, and you serve the bread upside-down. To make it sit flat, I had to cut off the top a little. The bits I ate tasted awfully darn good.

Thanks, everyone!
    Janey.