Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default open floor plan and paint choices

I'm getting a little head of myself here, but we have found a house that we are hoping to buy and I am super excited! It has a somewhat open floorplan in that the kitchen is open to the dining room and the dining room is open to the living room. I've been playing around with the room designers on the Lowe's and Corian web sites and I'm having the hardest time trying to get the colors to flow from one room to the next without being basically different shades of the same color, KWIM? Does it make a difference or am I being too anal? How did you go about picking different colors? Can I have different colors but still have a feeling of the rooms flowing together?

I'd love to see some answers to this question as well. Currently, our foyer color ends where it buts up against our dining room color. It's just a straight line down the wall and I think it looks terrible.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

Do you have a Menards near you? They have a really helpful set of brochures that show you how to connect adjoining rooms/open floor plans. Basically, for each suggestion, they give you 2 main wall colors, one color for connecting walls, and one color for trim. Each "grouping", has three of these sets, so theoretically, you could mix and match anything within the entire brochure.

The brochures are by Pittsburgh paints, but DH says that the brochures are most likely specific to Menards. If you don't have any luck, let me know--I can post the specific color names and you can get them on the Pittsburgh site.

Sophia Guest

Quote Originally Posted by greenbunny View Post
    I'd love to see some answers to this question as well. Currently, our foyer color ends where it buts up against our dining room color. It's just a straight line down the wall and I think it looks terrible.
    I would pick one neutral color for the entire wall that is shared by both rooms, and then paint the remaining walls in each room a different color.

Example: the shared wall is mocha, the 3 remaining dining room walls are chocolate, the 3 remaining foyer walls are sage.

We've been struggling with this for 6 years! We painted our dining room wall green, but couldn't figure out what to do with the rest of the downstairs.

The solution for us, and I know it's not the best for everyone, was to add color with art. The walls are an off-white, but we have lots of colorful art that adds splashes of color.

We have an open floor plan as well. I can basically see my entire first floor from my kitchen or LR. With the exception of our kitchen (which is a dark red), our colors are fairly neutral. People generally like our color choices and say they flow but I think we could've done better.

These are the colors we used:
    Kitchen - Brick Dust (lowe's Olympic paint)
    FR - Castle Path (Behr)
    LR/DR - Expedition Khaki (Behr)
    Common area - Harvest Brown (Behr)

I don't think you have to use different shades of the same color. As long as the colors are complimentary, things should still flow. Maybe start by picking a neutral color for the common area and then pick colors to compliment that?

FWIW, I PM'ed a mod to get this moved to the correct forum.

Complimentary is the word I've been searching for! I know I want the kitchen a pale yellow. And the living room a pale blue with a cream trim. I think if I find a complimentary blue, it will look nice. I just don't know what to do with the dining room. It shares a wall with the living room and I almost feel like I need to make both rooms the same color. I'm not sure what color to go with if I choose to paint that wall all one color and the other walls in the dining room another color and the other walls in the living room blue. Am I making sense?

our living room and dining room are side by side and share one big wall also. we did end up painting both rooms the same color just to make it easier. how would you feel about painting the one big wall one color (maybe something neutral, like beige?) and then painting the opposing walls in the LR/DR the pale blue?

Ya know, I'm kinda slow sometimes. I just realized that since the kitchen and dining room are open to each other and the dining room and living room share a wall, that means there is only one other wall to paint and that wall has sliders leading out to a deck. Duh. Kind of a no brainer there. lol

We are restoring a house built in 1834 that has a very open-type floor plan as well. It's not open as in "loft-like" because that concept wasn't around in 1834 (!), but you can view many parts of the house from other rooms.

Here are the colors we've done so far.

You enter the house into the formal living rom ---> BM Providence Olive. From the formal LR you can look up a stairwell ----> BM Providence Olive, into my home office ---- Behr Parisian Taupe ----> hallway Behr Parisian Taupe and a casual family room Behr Parisian Taupe.

Up the stairwell in the formal LR that is BM Providence Olive there is a guest BR ---> Restoration Hardware lightest pink shade and a bathroom (TBD).

From the family room that is Behr Parisian Taupe the kitchen and DR are visible ----> both the kitchen and DR are done in Restoration Hardware Butter. Also from the family room is another staircase to our lower level done in ----> Restoration Hardware Silver Sage that leads into a hallway done in the same Silver Sage Shade. This hallway leads to our BR ----- Behr Venetian Plaster in Lazio (a gray blue) and our "entry way" room/mudroom (TBD).

There are a couple more rooms to complete that I haven't listed here. So far this color scheme flows really well. I guess our color scheme is an Olive, Blue, Sage, Taupe one - with the baby pink guest room also seeming very taupe-like and neutral. The colors don't match each other, but the flow is nice and no room hits you in the face as you enter it. Ie, a red room would seem really loud in our house.

We also have tied the house together with the type and color of trim. All the interior doors, baseboards, chair rails, and crown moldings are painted a bright semi-gloss white. Behr Polar Bear. So each room regardless of wall color has the same trim connecting them.