Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IV and Bruising

Default IV and Bruising

I didn't really know where to post this, but I figured that since most women in labor had an IV at some point that this might get an answer here...

I had an IV on Tuesday and the nurse had some difficulty getting it in. My hand then felt sore and uncomfortable the whole time the IV was in - like I couldn't move it too much or find a comfortable place to put my hand. After surgery, they took the IV out and I went home. The only thing that hurt post-surgery was my hand and it was swollen. Now, two days later it is still somewhat swollen and my hand and wrist are all bruised. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I do bruise easily but this just seems ridiculous. Is there anything that I can ask the nurse to do differently next time so that the IV isn't so painful??
    New Year, New Baby
    DD - 01/04/07 DS - 01/29/09

I had that happen when I landed in the ER a few years ago. A few days after my visit, my arm seemed to get mildly infected (I had funky red streaks going up my arm from the site of the IV), so I used warm compresses and that seemed to work.

The next time I had an IV (when I was in labor), I told the nurse about my previous experience, and since she was having trouble getting the IV in at that spot anyway (scar tissue?), she just put the IV in a different spot, and I had no problems, not even a bruise.

I just had an IV put in Tuesday and the nurse asked if I ever had one before and I told her yes 12 yrs ago. They put it in the bottom part of my arm, but during surgery had to move it to my wrist area. She said I don't like doing it in the wrist or that close to your hand, so she put it on the side of my arm, I have just the hole, but no bruising now (just got it taken out this morning) Lots of tape was their trick to keep it from getting snagged on things as I moved my arms around.
    Mommy to Easton, Julianna and Katelyn, missing my Rebekah

I had a D&C a few years ago due to a blighted ovum and the thing that hurt the most was the IV in the hand. Like you, it was uncomfy the whole time it was in and I had terrible bruising for days after it was out.

So when I went into labor with my son, I insisted they put the IV in anywhere *but* my hand. The agreed and the nurse tried to put the IV in my lower arm- each time she tried, she failed and I immediatelly bruised and my arm swelled. Finally the nurse called a phlebologist (sp?) and she put it in the crook of my arm. The spot was a PITA b/c of how often you have to flex your arms during labor and to hold your little one, but I wasn't in any pain and didn't have any bruising after.
    Miracle #1: 5/06 | Miracle #2: 07/08
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

During labor I had an IV in the side of my wrist, at the base of my thumb. It was a heplock, and at one point had to be redone, which was really painful. I'm not sure if that was why or not, but when I got it all taken out, I had an enormous bruise that was about 6inches long and 2inches wide. They told me that happens sometimes & is nothing to be concerned about, but it was a surprise, and kind of scary looking!

Quote Originally Posted by Ohana
    I had that happen when I landed in the ER a few years ago. A few days after my visit, my arm seemed to get mildly infected (I had funky red streaks going up my arm from the site of the IV), so I used warm compresses and that seemed to work.
    If you ever have red streaks, call your doctor immediately. That can be a sign of a serious blood infection. It can actually be fatal if left untreated. You were lucky!
    Kristen
    Mommy to Abby ~~ 1/24/07
    Foster Mama to Medically Fragile L ~~ 4/4/09

Sophia Guest

That's happened to me several times. Once I also started getting the red streaks from an infection.

It could be that your I.V. was infiltrated. That means it actually at some point goes through the vein. That happened to me during the delivery of my DS. It was fine in the beginning and then it just started to hurt and bruise up. My nurse tried to "flush" my iv with saline and it hurt soo bad. After they took the iv out and my best friend came to visit (she's a nurse) and I had her look at it she told me it was infiltrated. My hand swelled up and I bruised pretty badly. It bothered me for a few days as well.
    Aidan Patrick 6/27/03
    Conor Padraig 8/29/06
    Molly Catherine 7/15/09

Yeah, the bruising normally results when they end up puncturing the vein through the other side and blood bleeds out, resulting in the bruise
    Wifey: 5/29/04
    Mommy?!: EDD 4/8/07

Thanks everyone! I talked to my friend yesterday who said the worst part of her c-section was the IV. I guess I will say something to the nurses at the hospital when I go into labor, but I won't expect too much.
    New Year, New Baby
    DD - 01/04/07 DS - 01/29/09