Quantcast

Default Persistent Pain In Left Ovary--Ever Had It?

I'm going to start TTC in September.

I have strange pain around my left ovary. Pretty much all the time--I don't mean all the time exactly just that it is not regular and not linked to cycles or anything. It's not agonizing. More like little stabbing twinges.

I've been too busy to go to the doctor but I'm going to try and see if I can get an appointment this week.

I hope it's nothing. Of course, it is the symptom of scary things like ovarian cancer but that is rare in women before they are 50. What I most hope is that it won't be anything that messes with fertility. Yes, I had a fibroid when I was pregnant last time but it wasn't the source of any problems.

It's just kind of a bummer. I admit I put it out of my mind because I simply had too much work to do for the doctor. I still do but I guess I'll just bite the bullet and go.

If you have ever had this happen, what did you have?

If you didn't cross your fingers for me. I want another baby really REALLY bad. My kid needs a sibling. And we don't have the money to adopt.

Phooey.

"The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me." Abraham Lincoln

Yep. Except it was the right ovary. (Which is why there has been appendicitis confusion with me and my docs as well)

Mine ended up being a complex ovarian cyst. (This sounds pretty gross, but I'll describe it anyway) Basically, I had a large cyst (before they removed it, it was close to 2 inches) with cysts inside. It never caused many problems (I had pain every month about when I ovulated~~~mittleschmertz), until one of the inner ones ruptured or the ovary torced (twisted).

In January, I had a laproscopy done, they wouldn't know until they got in there if I needed just a cystectomy or an ovectomy as well. (Where they would remove the ovary)

Everything ended up fine (Oh, and beforehand, I'd been screened for everything you can think of, cancer, PCOS, appendicitis, etc etc). And, 5 months later I joined the Feb '07 moms thread.
    I refuse to match wits with unarmed people.

Yep, and mine was endometriosis. The endometrial tissue had grown up around and between my uterus and ovary and was actually pulling on my ovary, bringing it down to my uterus. When the RE did a lap, he said the ovary was actually in the wrong place because it had been moved so much by the endo. It was quite uncomfortable.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10

it sounds like it could be a cyst. don't worry bc many cysts are non cancerous. in fact, i have two cysts now, but i feel the pain the middle, but the dr. said it is bc i have one on each side. he actually first asked if my pain was on the sides.

since the pain has persisted, you must go to a dr. this is not something you want to mess with.

btw, i know this is unrelated to your pain, but it does not always cost a lot of money to adopt especially if you go through the foster care system. though, i don't think you need to think so far ahead as adoption since you have already had one healthy child, so you know that you are able to have children.

good luck with ttc!!!

I had pain in my left ovary as well. Mine did get much worse (i.e. sometimes couldn't stand without hunching over) around O time. In fact, that bad pain signaled to me that I was Oing early and "warned" me that I'd better get home and BD and we conceived that night.

Back to the point here, I did have different types of pain there at random in my cycle and still get some of those pains there at 23 weeks pregnant. I was told around 6 weeks that I do have a 2 cm cyst on that ovary, but the doctor was not concerned at all and said it was entirely normal.

Regardless, if the pain suddenly showed up on my right side one day I would still go to my doctor about it just because it seems so risky to ignore any pain that is persistant, when it is so grilled into our brains that early detection is the key to beating cancer.
    Last edited by MichelleRenee; 07-05-2006 at 10:50 AM.

I had endo which manifested in a cyst (golf ball sized) on my left ovary and I had kind of a dull ache for months before I got it removed. I had a lap to remove it and kept my ovary. Apparently women get cysts fairly often on our ovaries, but it's the persistent ones that could be dangerous. With endo (as with other stuff, I imagine), you can have a lot of growing tissue and little pain, or a lot of pain and little endometriosis...pain doesn't indicate size. So, get it checked out. When you see your dr., she'll probably have you get an u/s and/or MRI, then laparoscopy to remove whatever's in there (if anything).

I'm TTC too. Best of luck to you!
    dd july 2008
    ds march 2010
    lj

I agree, sounds like a cyst. I had (still have) a cyst on my ovary, and those sound like the same symptoms I described. Now, my cyst is due to pregnancy, and typically goes away before birth. It started off on the larger size (6 cms) and has since gone down to 2cm. The pains are definitely not as intense now as they were when it was larger.

I usually felt it when I would twist from side to side, get up form teh couch or chair or roll over in bed.
    got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

I just saw that you're not TTC until September. I suggest you see your dr. ASAP and get it taken care of. Otherwise, when you start TTC, you'll drive yourself nuts wondering about it, and if you do need to get it taken care of, you'll lose that TTC time. Do it now and you might still be able to start when you want.

I keep wondering if my endo is coming back, but there's really no reason to get checked out (no pain or other symptoms) until we've been TTC a while (6 months). The wondering is bothering me a lot! You DO have symptoms, so use this time to get a clean bill of health.
    dd july 2008
    ds march 2010
    lj

Thanks you guys. I keep forgetting to call the doctor. I'm going to call tomorrow and get an appointment next week.

It's probably a cyst. I'm just hoping it's a little managable one and not a big ol' surgery needing one.

But thanks for your advice. I really appreciate it.
    "The probability that we may fall in the struggle ought not to deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just; it shall not deter me." Abraham Lincoln