Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What dissolves caulk?

I pulled my pedestal sink out of the bathroom and plan to use a reglazing kit to change the color. Unfortunately, the previous owner went crazy caulking it to the wall and I can't get all the caulk off, which is a necessity to use the glaze.

I have been using a flat blade to scrape as much as possible, but it is just too hard. I've also tried ammonia, rubbing alcohol, and acetone nail polish remover.

Any other ideas? I asked at Home Depot but they had no idea.

ETA for clarity: the caulk is stuck to the sink, not to the wall.
    Last edited by greenbunny; 06-14-2006 at 09:05 AM.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

Doing a quick google search, DAP makes a dissolving product for caulk:

Caulk-be-Gone
    Shiny!

I'm so juvenile... "Caulk-be-gone" just makes me giggle.
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.- Douglas Adams

These might work.

1. a tiny chisel, and hammer, tapping it lightly sideways
    2. a heat gun to WARM it

Be careful with chemicals that you use. You don't want to damage the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by southerner
    Be careful with chemicals that you use. You don't want to damage the wall.
    Oh, it's in pieces in the garage. I can take it out in the street or wherever. I was just hoping for a home remedy, rather than buy another obscure chemical I'd only use once!

oh! it's stuck to the sink? On the top vanity or at the bottom? What material is it, do you know?

Quote Originally Posted by LittleFredPunkinHead
    I'm so juvenile... "Caulk-be-gone" just makes me giggle.
    Me too. Caulk-off would be even funnier.

Back on topic - Thanks for asking this question, someone got a little crazy with the caulk and putty in our house too.

You mentioned it being hard, is it possible it's grout and not caulk?

Quote Originally Posted by southerner
    oh! it's stuck to the sink? On the top vanity or at the bottom? What material is it, do you know?
    Yes, it is on the actual sink. It's stuck on the bowl behind the faucet where the backsplash was against the wall (so like the top edge) and they used so much it spilled down the side a bit. There's also a bunch on the pedestal part (the part that holds up the bowl) at the top where it attaches to the bowl and at the bottom where it was caulked to the hardwood floor. (WTF?)

Quote Originally Posted by Witty Username
    You mentioned it being hard, is it possible it's grout and not caulk?
    Nope, it's not gritty, it's just old and dried up. It is clear but has that gumminess like silicone.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbunny
    There's also a bunch on the pedestal part (the part that holds up the bowl) at the top where it attaches to the bowl and at the bottom where it was caulked to the hardwood floor. (WTF?)
    To be fair, you should seal the bottom of the sink with a silicone caulk, either white (to match the porcelain) or clear, too keep water/moisture from seeping under the flooring. Silicone caulk is a b!tch to work with, but it really gets the job done. If you use too much, though, it's a yucky mess. If it is indeed silicone, you should be able to peel it off of the porcelain if you can get a edge up. It doesn't sound like it is silicone since you've probably tried all that with no luck, so at least you know what you are dealing with.
    Last edited by Tanya; 06-14-2006 at 10:00 AM.
    "Dance like it hurts. Love like you need the money. Work when people are watching." -Dogbert

Try the warmer suggestion I made. It might melt or loosen it if it's gummy. Use a hairdryer or you could soak/drown the area in warm water.

If you go to www.doityourself.com and do a simple search for keywords, a bunch of info came up. Be sure to search for info, not products.

This article might help too.