Quantcast

Default Potty's and Urine Guards for boys...

I'm working on potty training my son, he's 22 months old. He's doing well (only one accident so far today) but we are having issues with the urine guard on the potty. He'll sit down and start to pee almost immediately, but the urine guard falls down as he's sitting, so it does no good. And I can't get my hand in there and bring it up while he's peeing. Any advice? Is this normal? What do you all do? I'm getting frustrated with potty, and I don't really want to switch potty's on him, he's doing well with this one (it's the First Years one from Walmart). TIA!
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

I haven't actually tried this yet so take my advice with a grain of salt, BUT the potty training book (it's one of the early potty training books...can't remember the name of it right now) that I've read says not to use the guards. She suggests removing them and simply just tucking the penis into the toilet when the child starts to pee. She claims that eventually you can teach the boy to tuck it in on his own. Her reasoning against the guards is that apparently it's pretty easy for a boy to bump his privates into the guard which could cause him to be afraid of the potty.

That's what I thought, but I figured there was a reason they were there. I'm just having a hard time with DS since he wants to do this on his own and will push my hand away when I try to tuck it in, but if I don't do it, he pees straight out. Sigh. This is only the first day, so it will get better, I'm sure. Just frustrating.
    My three sons :DS age 7 and DS age 4, DS age 2

We got the bjourn little potty which is just one piece so the guard is part of the potty and does not come off. That worked well for us from 18mths to 30 mths when we started potty training in earnest at the request of daycare. At daycare they taught him to tuck and then close his legs but after a day or two he decided he wanted to pee standing up, like his friend and his dad and that pretty much resolved that issue. I have also heard that boys can get pinched by the guards and that is another reason not to use them.