Quantcast

Default when did they stop "using" lead paint?

the latest house we are considering buying is a 3,000 sf contemporary built in 1973/74. it was high-end construction at that time.

anybody want to take a guess as to whether there is lead paint in it? i know lead paint laws didn't go into effect until 1978. but i have no idea how common lead paint usage was prior to that, especially in the few years leading up to the ban.

the sellers disclosure form says no lead paint. however, in the pile of documents at the house, there was one of those standard lead paint disclosure forms - and it was checked off as "unknown". my realtor has a call in to the listing realtor to try to get clarification. in the meantime, i'm just trying to guess. . .

~pixie

Our home inspector said it was phased out beginning in the 1950's although the ban didn't go into effect until, as you said, 1978. Bright whites were the last colors to still contain leads. For more info you can contact the National Lead Information Clearinghouse at 1-800-424-LEAD unless someone around here as more specific info.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal

however, in the pile of documents at the house, there was one of those standard lead paint disclosure forms - and it was checked off as "unknown".
    That's just a CYA move on their part (and it was smart). It's always best to answer 'unknown' on matters that could lead you to a lawsuit.

If the presence of lead paint is a deal breaker or even just of interest to you, write your offer contingent on a lead test. Call your local environmental health dept. if you need recs for qualified companies in your area to perform this testing.
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

thanks for the replies.

Bright whites were the last colors to still contain leads.
    just my luck - it's a contemporary styled house - so the whole place is painted bright white!!!!!

mamax2 you were right - a total cya move. the current owner bought from the original owner - and was told that no lead paint was used. though there appears to be no official documentation. which made the re agent check the unknown box instead of the no box.

so i think we are going to proceed on the assumption that it is lead free.

~pixie

If you don't want to pay for professional lead testing, you can get a test kit at the hardware store for pretty cheap. There's swabs inside that look like cigarette butts you wipe across any surface you'd like to check for lead residue. Window sills and baseboards, as well as any peeling or chipped areas, are the most likely culprits.
    "If you bungle raising your children, I don't think whatever else you do well matters very much." ~ Jackie O.
    Livejournal