Quantcast

Default Storing blankets in the basement?

Does anyone store their winter comforters in the basement? We have a 'fall' blanket and 'winter' comforter that is taking over our bedroom. We don't need them in the heat of the summer. Our bedroom & closets are small, so I was thinking of storing them in the basement. Does anyone do this? Do you just stick them in a tupperware tote? Do you wrap them in an air tight container? The only thing I'm really worried about is mold. I wash them every fall and spring. I had some purses stored down there in a cardboard box and when I checked them over the summer, they were moldy. I threw them out.

Any tips? I really don't want my hand knitted blanket all moldy and unusable. Thanks!

I would suggest those space bags - I store my winter items in them inside of plastic totes & they smell great (although they are wrinkled) when I retrieve them in the fall.

I would make sure they are totally dry before you put them in the stoage container (if you've just taken them out of the washer/dryer).

Get a rubbermaid tote that seals properly, and maybe put some Bay leafs in there for bugs (just in case). Then do *not* store the box on the ground. Put them on a stand-alone shelf, and away from walls.

That's all I can think of to keep them from getting moldy.
    got married: 08/27/05
    had a girl: 10/05/06 - then a boy: 12/18/08
    and now another boy: 09/21/10

I wouldn't put anything in my basement because it's very old (100 year old house), damp, and just kind of smells. But I would put things in my parents' basement (a 10-year-old house) because it doesn't have any of those issues. So, I'd be most inclined to say it just depends on the basement. But honestly, if you put purses down there that got moldy, I'd be really leery of putting anything important there (even if you stored it differently; for me, I'd be too nervous to try anything I really cared about).

a small drinking island with a fishing problem

I always pack away my blankets in an air tight container in the basement. We haven't had a problem yet. I also stick drier sheets in the folds of the blankets to keep it smelling fresh when I take them out next season.
    Chloe 8/2010 Oliver 7/2012
    At the beach life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour, but mood to moment.
    We live by the currents, plan by the tides and follow the sun.

Yes, I've always used basements for storage (when I've lived in places w/basements). That said, I think your bigger issue is that you have a known mold issue and not only is that a problem for storage, but possibly for your health. I would first get a dehumidifier that's large enough for the space and put that down there. See if that gets your mold issues in check. If you're pulling lots of moisture out of the air, that may be enough to resolve the problem and you can use the basement for storage (or whatever else!)
    sugar, spice & everything nice...
    8/03 & 12/05
    snips, snails & puppy dog tails...3/10

I know we have a humitity problem in the basement. We bought a dehumidifier last year and used it. Our problem is that the pan fills up so quickly that we often forget about it. Oops. My purses are the only things that we've found mold on. Nothing all the walls, beach blankets, camping stuff, furniture - just my purses. Figures. We recently closed off the furnace, water heater & water softener area and I've noticed a substanial change in the humidity in that room. I'll probably want to store them in there.

Thanks for the dryer sheet tip. That's a really good idea.

I think I'll use the giant ziplock bags and put them in a rubbermaid container. Better safe than sorry.

We store any unused blankets in the attic. I think the summer heat keeps away the bugs and mold. Things do start to smell a little stale after a while, but it's nothing a few hours on the washline can't fix.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

We use Spacebags to store all of our seasonal blankets. No mold, water damage, works wonderfully.

Let's just say I'm now officially addicted to them! LOL
    A + P 10/26/02
    My sunshine born 7/26/05
    And another sunshine born 4/7/11

If your purses got moldy, the blankets would probably too. I just wrapped up my winter blanket in the heavy plastic bag that we bought it in, and put it in the attic. I wouldn't put anything valuable in the basement; it all goes in the attic.
    Kristina + Gary ~ 5-14-05
    Our bundle of Love ~ Marcella Ann 8-20-07