Quantcast

Default Staph Infection in Diaper Area

I took my DD to the Dr. because she had a terrible diaper rash with a really big sore that was red and yucky looking. Apparently, she has a staph infection. About two weeks ago, she had two little pimple type bumps that appeared in about the same area. Those healed with the help of some OTC antibiotic ointment and some hydrocortisone cream. But the redness was still there, now this staph infection has developed and I am trying to figure out what caused the original bumps. The never got that big or yucky, but I am wondering if it was empitigo that never really healed. Any thoughts?

A staph infection can come and go-mine started with 2 small sores, cleared up for a bit, then I got a big one, cleared up again with antibiotics, then came back with an enormous life-draining horrendouly painful sore that I am currently fighting with the help of even stronger antiibiotics. It could be it was impetigo, but I doubt it. As I am reading up on this, it seems there is an antibiotic-resistant strain of staph that is running around the country as a very quiet but increasingly common epidemic. She could have picked it up any number of different ways-it's no longer an infection that aflicts only those with a weakened immune system or those already in the hospital. Whatever you do, DO NOT slack off on the antibiotics the doctor prescribed, keep the wound covered AT ALL TIMES unless you are draining it, and WEAR GLOVES anytime you are changing her diaper or cleaning or dressing the wound. This is an unfreakinglybelievably, incredibly painful infection I would wish on no one in this world, and it is unbelieveably contagious-we think I picked it up from my mother, and we think she picked it up from cleaning houses.
    It is very, very common to have clusters of it in families. It often starts out with sores inside your nose (painful all by themselves)-if you break out with those, RUN, DO NOT WALK, to yuour doctor and beg him for antibiotics BEFORE you get a boil on your skin.

Aiden had a staph infection too. The doctor figured it started with a small cut and went from there. It's possible she had a diaper rash and it got infected. Some people have staph living on their bodies all the time.
    Shannon and Alex 5/02~~Aiden 11/03
    Maura 03/06 Malcolm 4/08

Actually everyone has staph living on there skin all the time. Any break in the skin can lead to an infection.
    --Shana
    Mommy to Juliana age 4 and Steven almost 2

Thank you for all of your responses...I am worried about my baby obviously, but the Dr. didn't make a big deal out of it. I am hoping it is not really dangerous!

Okay, now I am freaking out. I should never have looked up staph infections because now I am worried that I have let it go on for to long before calling the Dr. He called in an oral antibiotic today and she is on two kinds of cream, which seems to be healing it, but I am terrified of these new resistent infections.

Don't panic yet. This is her first go-round, there is no reason to think she has one of the nasty strains at this point. But, DO take all the precautions I mentioned above, as they can't hurt.
    Yes, everyone has staph, but a staph infection, and especially the MRSA strains, are a completely different animal-thus the precautions and medications.