Quantcast

Default hyperactivity side effect from Amoxicillin

My 8 month old twin boys have double ear infections and were on the verge of having pneumonia (according to the ped). She prescribed amoxicillin since in February they did two rounds of Zithromax for RSV, ear infections and croup.

One of my boys has been on amox for 3 days, the other just started it today. Both are *very* hyper on the amox. I thought the first one was just happy to be feeling well, but noticed the correlation after giving it to my second DS.

I can't get them to sleep! They missed all naps today, and wouldn't/couldn't go to sleep until 9:00pm. Usually, they are up at 7:00am, down for a nap at 9:00 for 1.5-2 hours, then down for another nap at 1:00ish for 2 hours, then down for the night at 6:30.
    They are happy at least, but wide awake and needing to be busy. Its like they can't sit still, even hard for them to drink a bottle.

They are suppose to be on the med for 5 days, so 2 days left DC1 and 4 days left for DC2.

I made a comment to the ped today as a joke that the med must contain speed because DC1 is so happy and energetic...totally different child than he was before he started taking it (he has been sick for so long it seems we rarely see him happy).

AGhhh!!!! Do I tell the ped this is a problem? Or do I tough it out and let the amox do its job? Is this an acceptable side effect?
    Tina & Travis, married July 4, 2003
    Pete and Nate, born July 23, 2005
    LJ ~*~ Website

Are they taking any other kinds of cold medicine? I've never heard of this side affect with amox., but I know some cold meds cause kids to be hyper.
    Married my Forever Love: June 30, 2001
    Ash 1990 A3 (Ham) 1997 Al 1998

Nope, thats the only thing, other than ear numbing drops - but Pete hadn't gotten those yet when the hyperness started. I did a little reading online and saw that it is listed as one of the s/e. I had never heard of that either!
    They are happy, just not the least bit sleepy though. Makes for a long day with no naps and an extended bedtime.
    Tina & Travis, married July 4, 2003
    Pete and Nate, born July 23, 2005
    LJ ~*~ Website