Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Daughter's Temp 102.7 Under the Arm?

Hi,

I stayed home from work sick today, but then my daughter - 11 months - caught my cold. Its mainly causing us congestion, coughing and a sore throat.

My daughter is also battling an ear infection on top of this.

This morning we took her to the DR. after she threw up 3 times...they gave her an injection of antibiotics for the ear infection because she was throwing up all the stuff - Tylenol, etc - that we tried to give her. Her temp was 102.4 at the Dr.'s.

ANYWAY they told us to use FeverALL - an infant suppository - its aspirin for when the baby can't tolerate taking Tylenol by mouth i guess.

I am just really worried b/c her temp is now 102.7 taken under the arm. The nurse told us today to add a degree to temps taken under the arm, since its not very accurate. That means her temp is about 103.7?!!!!

That's really high! I am very worried. I called the Dr. again and we're waiting for a call back. I don't know what to do...we just gave her another FeverAll, hopefully it will take her temp down - but what if we have to go to the ER tonight? I am just scared...I am worried her temp will go even higher.

She's been sick with one thing or another - ear infections, colds - since Feb. This is the 3rd time.

thanks for listening,

Heather
    Last edited by BridalLace; 03-22-2006 at 05:06 AM.
    Our Wedding - 7.06.02
    Our Daughter - 5.07.05
    Our Son - 3.28.08

I'm so sorry your child is sick.

I've heard conflicting things about fevers. My son had a 101.3 under the arm temperature last week and the doctor I spoke to said that he wasn't that concerned because fevers are an indication that the body is fighting something off.

Are your DD's other symptoms getting worse? Is she okay otherwise? Take a deep breath and give the Feverall time to work. Easier said than done, I'm sure.

When DD's been sick, the Dr always asks how the baby is doing. Is she her usual self? Is she sluggish? etc

That's a good indication of how the baby is truly feeling.

If you are worried though, you should call the dr. That's what they are there for. At worst, maybe you can speak to the on-call nurse which is what I usually do since my dr is so busy and doesn't get back to me until much later.

Also, my old insurance used to have a nurse helpline service that people can call to ask questions. Check to see if you have something like that.

While I would like you have called the doctor and feel concerned if my child were running a fever of 103, I have been told that children tend to run much higher temps than adults and that 103 is not that unually in a child. I am speaking from things I have read though as my child has only run that high a fever once ((we were out of state and called our ped emergency line at around 11pm at night) and it came down quickly with some advil.

A fever is a sign that the body is fighting off an infection. Many viruses or bacteria or both (I forget the details) can only live wihinn a certain temprature range so our bodies try to kill them off by intentionally raising our body tempuratures. I think somewhere between 104 and 105 the temperture actual can become dangerous to the body itself, lower than that it is just uncomfortable. So at 103 it makes sense to be watching closely and trying to bring it down a bit with meds, but I don't think she is in any danger as of yet. I hope your doctor calls back soon with official advice so you can feel more in control.

feverall is acetametophin which will reduce the fever but it usually takes 45 to 60 minutes, have you asked your ped if it's ok to use an ibuprofen (motrin or advil) if the fever is still not going down?

from dr. sears's website - For very high or stubborn fevers, alternate between Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen every three hours (i.e., give a dose of acetaminophen then three hours later give ibuprofen then three hours later acetaminophen, etc.) These two medications are safe to use together like this.
    ♥ Dan, Gen, Nikki
    [ lj-journal ]

DD has also had high fevers, which scared me to death, but the ped actually said he recommends not doing anything until the fever hits 105!! I just couldn't do that, so when her fever hit 102 or 103, I start giving her Motrin every 8 hours and Tylenol every 4, trying to stagger the doses so that she doesn't end up getting both at the same time.

i don't think i could wait til it was actually 105 either. oh, and i guess ibuprofen would work if she was keeping stuff like that down. we tried to give her some baby Tylenol right after the Dr. called and Elle threw up even before we put the dropper in her mouth. LOL, we were joking that she had a physical reaction to seeing the dropper this time...we were supposed to try to put half a suppository in her, but it broke apart like candlewax and we're not really sure how that is supposed to work when its in pieces, that is.

when the Dr. called us back a few min after i posted this, they told us the thing about adding 1 degree to under-the-arm temps is NOT true - so i don't know what their nurse, from that very office, was telling us this morning. *shrug* i guess everyone has a different piece of advice etc.....

i really want to get an ear thermometer so i don't have to guess about this anymore, though.

to answer someone else's question, she was very listless til about a half hour ago...her fever is finally coming down though i think (thank goodness!) so she is starting to babble and seems to feel a little better now. finally.

we got a lot of advice from the Dr's call about calling if she is over 101 degrees for more than 72 hours, call if she is still at 104 or higher an hour after we gave her Tylenol...i feel much better about it now...i am staying home again with my daughter tomorrow.

i won't have any sick days left for my next pregnancy. lol.
    Our Wedding - 7.06.02
    Our Daughter - 5.07.05
    Our Son - 3.28.08

We had a really good explanation for the higher fever in babies than in adults from our ped. Let me see if I can get this right.

The reason the little ones have a higher fever is because their bodies are fighting something it has never seen before. With an adult, the body recognizes what the issue is and concentrates it's effort on that particular sickness. With a baby/child, the body is seeing all kinds of new things so it is fighting it with everything it has, thus the higher temp.

Did that make sense? It made sense when the ped told us.
    Tina & Dan - 6/26/04
    Aimee Jean - 9/25/05
    Katherine (Katie) Louise & Kristi Anne - 1/31/07 (33 wks)

Our pediatrician told me at our last visit that a fever up to 107 can be ok. I was stunned because at our 2 month WBV, she said to call if it was 101. She did add that if DD isn't drinking or peeing that we ought to call, too.

I think I would call if it got to 103.

lml41981 - Newborns are definately different. I think they send you to the ER for 101 for a newborn. My sister called her Ped just looking for dosage for the tylenal or advil (Iforget which is OK for newborns) and was sent to the ER. She thought she was just humoring him but it turned out to be RSV and they were i the hospital for a few days. But 107 sounds way to high to me. I hope I never see that number!