Quantcast

Default Acrylic vs. Silk Wrap Nails

What is the difference between Acrylic and Silk Wrap Nails?

I use to have Acrylic nails over my real nails, I loved them but hated the removal process. My real nails were ruined for months afterwards and very fragile. I was wondering if Silk Wrap Nails were a little bit better.

TIA!

PS: I apologize if this has been brought up already, I did a search and couldn’t find anything.
    Married ~ November 19, 2004
    Baby Girl Arrived 1/14/08
    LJ - Life with a Daughter

I leave my nails natural, but I remember the first time I got artificial nails back as a high school junior (for the junior prom), the nail technician recommended a silk wrap, which I did. I think it's supposed to help protect your nails a little more since the acrylic doesn't go directly on top of your own nail bed. But I had a basketball game the next week after the prom so I ended up trimming them and then eventually picking them off myself. Thus, I can't really say whether or not they leave your nails in good shape.

HTH!
    Married 6.22.02 DD1 5.12.06 & DD2 6/4/09!

My co-worker gets Gel nails when she gets her nails done. I guess it's some type of gel that sits on top of your nail and looks way more natural that acrylics. She said they don't mess up your own nails which is a plus, but they cost more money.

I have had silk, linen and acrylic. I no longer use wraps at all (just nailtiques!).

All wraps will weaken your nail. Of the 3, I preferred acryllic bc the fill was smoother. With silk or linen they either have to cut a tiny piece of silk/linen and try to fill in the gap, or they use the same powder they would use to an acrylic wrap. If you are wearing a light color like a french, and you look closely, you can see the material under the polish. That's why I didn't like it. IIRC, it also peels away easier (and they just try to fix that with crazy glue usually... otherwise the whole thing has to be redone).

Gel... I never did it... no reason really but I recently read that they are the worst choice of any wrap bc you risk damaging your real nails when they remove them since they have to file them off (actually, IIRC, they might do this with silk/linen as well).

The nicest wraps I have seen were fiberglass. I don't know how those work though. I only know one person that did them and she said they were too fragile to do them again but they looked more natural IMO.
    "He who knows he has enough is rich" - Lao Tzu
    --<--@ Tiffany @-->--
    LJ ~ Chart

Thanks Everyone!
    Married ~ November 19, 2004
    Baby Girl Arrived 1/14/08
    LJ - Life with a Daughter

I had Gel Nails, and I loved them! They stayed on better than Acrylics did for me. If you are going for the french look: The gel was pink, and b/c they put on a top layer, you can also get them airbrushed, which is cheaper than getting pink and white acrylic. The top layer keeps them from chipping which is what happens if you air brush acrylic.

I got mine removed for cost, since it just wasn't in our budget right now. However, my DH said that as soon as we can budget it in, he wants me to get them back...he loves getting tickled w/ them since I can't grow nails at all. I would definitely get Gel Nails again!

When I had them removed, it was the same as having acrylics removed. I'm not sure about the more damaging thing. I knew they weren't great for my nails, but my nails are crazy thin all the time so it didn't really 'damage' them. Once they grew back out, they were the same as they were before.