Quantcast

Default cheapest diy patio/deck

So, we want to redo our backyard, but we're on a really limited budget. Anyone have any creative ideas for cheap materials that can be used for a patio or deck?

TIA

We have a tiny, concrete patio right off the kitchen sliding door... just big enough for a grill... Not sure if there's any way to make it bigger/add on to it or just start over...

Well I don't think it would cost too much to pour out some more concrete to make your patio bigger. Or you could buy some stepping stones (round, square, natural shaped) and lay them in a nice pattern. Then you could grow creeping thyme or some otehr creeping plant in between. You wouldn't have to mow it and it would look nice. I think it would look fine next to your patio.
    Katie & Paul, wedded bliss since June 11, 2005
    TWINS! Abby and Brady born August 29, 2009
    SURPRISE! Claire Zoe born October 26, 2010

If your concrete is a deep enough slab, you could build a larger deck right over it by affixing Pressure Treated lumber right to it, letting it cantilever off the end or sides, and then putting decking right on top of the newly attached wood. You'd want to make sure that the step-down from the inside of your house didn't become an awkward height, otherwise you'd be creating a trip hazard.

The rule for cantilevering is typically that you can extend 1/3 beyond whatever you're cantilevering over, as long as 2/3 remains ON the thing you're cantilevering over. So for example, if your concrete pad is 8 feet, you can get 12 foot 2x lumber, affix 8 feet of it *securely* to the concrete at several points, and let 4 feet hang off the end. So you'd be enlarging the deck by four feet.

HTH

Do you need me to explain what I wrote better? It's not as complicated as I may have made it out to be!

My husband built a paver patio over our existing cement slab that was very damaged. It ended up costing us about $1000 but it was a large patio.

Before

After

He poured gravel over the cement slab, topped with with sand, placed the pavers and then filled in the cracks with more sand.

If you wanted to extend your existing patio without paving over it you could dig around it and create a border with pavers to make it bigger. The digging is extra work but you'd use less materials. You can find pavers in all sorts of shapes, styles and colors. We bought ours at Lowe's.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

If you and your DH (and extended family) are pretty handy, you can build yourself a really nice deck/patio on a small budget.

DH and I built a brick patio (Okay, our dads helped) for about $1500. Granted, we splurged on the stones - we could have gone cheaper, but we liked this one the best.

Total it took us about 10 hours to flatten the area, put the foundation in, lay the bricks and backfill.

We got the stones at Menards with a 10% off coupon they sent (10% off the total order!) and we also got all of the other supplies we needed. It was hard work, but it looks nice. We now have a fire pit out there and we're going to buy a loveseat so DH and I can sit out by the fire on summer nights.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

Chimichanga- That patio is awesome!! We are thinking about doing a deck and/or patio this summer...and I'm loving what you did! Where did you get your materials?

Thank you!!

We got everything at Menards (similar to a Home Depot/Expo/Lowes). They had everything we needed: the forms, sand, rock and then the paver and retaining wall bricks.

We did so some shopping around to find the best price. Like I said we splurged on the stones, but we did get them at the cheapest price in the area. We bought more than what we needed and just returned the extra.

Our original plans called for something a little higher (the wall is only about three feet) but we thought it looked fine. Origianally it was supposed to be about 4-5 feet high, but I think it would have taken away from the burm.
    Kidlet 1 - 8/06
    Kidlet 2 - 7/09
    Kidlet 3 - 12/12

happy1nuv - what did you decide?

We built a deck one summer and then added a brick patio the next. The deck was about $1500 and the patio around $800 (we had/have lots of extra bricks, which we are using for our landscape edging.

Here is an after pick...we haven't finished the landscaping around the deck yet. We will do that this summer.
    Married 10.25.2003
    Joanie Ida 01.06.2011