Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog is always hungry, is this normal?

thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by Duncan1; 10-09-2006 at 03:13 PM.

It really depends on the dog. And if you adopted your second dog from a shelter or rescue she could have some past where she wasn't given enough food or food very often so she eats like she doesn't know when she'll get more.

I have three dogs. Two of them would eat and eat as much as they could if allowed. When they do get food it's gone in a flash. They'll go to their bowls from time to time and lick them, look at us for treats, etc. But when they're really hungry close to feeding times they'll whine at us.

From what you've written it doesn't sound like your dog is doing anything completely abnormal. As long as she's healthy (up to date on shots, you know she doesn't have worms, etc.) I'd just keep monitoring it. It could be something she'll always do as part of her personality.

Our one cat is like this. The other is a grazer, like you said. The difference is that the grazer was a breeder's cat, so she never had to fend for herself. The eating machine was picked up by animal control on a city street when she was almost a year old. I tend to think, like birdfeet says, it has to do with having to fend for herself for so long. (Not the species you asked about, but similar situation, just for reference. )
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.

My golden retriever is the same way- eating is her number one priority. She is in such a hurry to eat her meals that I really don't think she chews the food. She's always been that, and she gets plenty to eat. Some dogs are just like that.

It really depends on the dog as others have said. I have one Golden who could take or leave food, and another one who could eat 5X the recommended amount and still act hungry.

That being said, unless you know the dog's full and complete medical history it wouldn't hurt to get him dewormed.

My beagle inhales anything put in front of him in a matter of seconds. We have had him since he was 8 weeks old (he's one and a half now), and he has always been this way. He is perfectly healthy--he just loves his food and seems to be totally oblivious to feeling full. I wouldn't worry if I were you. Just monitor his food intake.

I think that's a Rottweiler trait shining through! Rotts are known for their abilities to inhale food faster than a vaccuum and then act like they haven't eaten a thing. My Rottn monster will consume his 2 - 2&1/2 cups of food in less than a minute ususally!

What brand of food are you feeding and how much? It's possible that the food isn't dense enough for her to feel full. Sounds like she is a good weight though... You can try adding some green beans or plain pumpkin (from a can, but not the kind with all of the spices & sugar added, just the plain stuff) to add a little bit of fiber bulk without additional calories/fat.

And it may just be like others have posted in that her past is suspect, however after a while with living with you, she may eventually feel comfortable enough to slow down.

Good for you for adopting and enjoy your new family member!

I think your dog's behavior sounds pretty normal. Much like one of my dogs.

We have two dogs. Meg, our large dog (about the size of yours) INHALES her food. And is always looking for more. If we don't watch her carefully, she'll eat the other dog's food - even though we feed them in separate rooms.

Maverick, our smaller dog, grazes. In fact, he's so disinterested in food, we have to tell him to eat. He'll easily go more than 24 hours without eating if we don't remind him that it's time to eat. (But he responds immediately to, "Maverick, you need to eat your food.")

I think their histories explains a lot. Meg was found on the street and taken to a shelter. When she was adopted (before we got her), she lived with a much larger German Shepherd, so I'm sure she had to fight for her food quite a bit. Maverick was also adopted from a shelter, but had been with a foster family and never spent a single day in the shelter. I'm sure he never had the need to fight for his food, or worry about if he would get any more later.
    Karla, CPST Mom to DS1 5/06 * DD 8/07 * DS2 8/08 * DS3 3/10

My roommate has a little lhasa/shitzu mix. He always acts like he is starving. Anyone who comes around would think we never feed him but he eats all the time.

He will also eat anything he can get his mouth around (including, but not limited to, dirty tissues or candles). The dog is 8 now and he came from a shelter so we really don't know what his life was like before and why he developed these habits.

I don't know if you can do much other than feed him what you're supposed to and know that he's really not starving.

Why do people kill people who kill people to show people that to kill people - is bad?

Some dogs are just like that. We have a medium sized lab mix, and we've had her since she was really little. She's about 5-7 lbs overweight (so just barely!). . . . and she acts like you're kicking her if you don't give her food all.the.time. She digs wrappers out of the garbage, drools on your feet, licks the floor at home, licks the floor at obedience class, it's really awful! LOL.

My parents used to have a lab/retriever mix, and that dog was the same way, she would eat anything and everything. However, their spaniel mix could take it or leave it. Now they have a stray (we have NO clue what mix she is!) that was dumped on their land, and she's a bit of a fighter for food, which is understandable.

I wouldn't worry too much about your dog! Different dogs have different personalities--sounds like yours is a "foodie" just like mine!