Quantcast
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog not peeing?

Default Dog not peeing?

Not sure if I'm overreacting, but my dog, who goes out twice a day to pee and poop (and usually does both each time) didn't pee either last night or this morning and I got worried.

At first I thought he might have gone in the house, but I searched everywhere and he didn't.

He has been getting the usual amount of food and water and the only thing different is that Saturday night he got sprayed by a skunk (which probably has nothing to do with anything, but I thought I'd mention it).

I'm on bed rest so he can't go to the vet until tomorrow. Should I be worried?
    J + A

I think you should definately take him to a vet if he doesn't go soon. I had a cat once that died of a urinary tract blockage. I didn't even notice a problem. He was a little irritable for a day or two but I thought he was just sick of the dogs bothering him. I woke up one morning and he was very ill and couldn't lift his head. My husband at the time took him to the vet and came to my work a few hours later telling me that he had passed away. Apparently it was a condition somewhat common is male cats that have been "fixed". Don't know about dogs though. My vet did tell me that I need to watch for habit changes in the future and if I have a cat that stops peeing to not wait. Just something to think about. Better safe than sorry.

OMG, thanks for sharing, mortiz! I'm sorry about your kitty
    J + A

Yes, keep a very close eye on him today. Is he straining to urniate, does he seem uncomfortable, is he crying etc.

I don't know how it all works with dogs, but our cat blocked from struvite crystals that formed in his urethra. The real problem is that the body starts to build up toxins because the animal can't eliminate them through urinating and this makes them VERY sick, VERY quickly.

If you can't take him to the vet today, I would at least call and get their recommendation for how to proceed.
    Shiny!

I know its a common problem in male cats and can become deadly quickly. But I don't remember ever seeing any dogs come in with that problem when I worked for a vet (in college). Although I'm sure dogs can have urinary tract issues as well, it just must be less common.

Does he strain to pee? Or seem uncomfortable? I know with cats you'll often see them spending a lot of unproductive time in the litterbox and returning to it frequently. One of my cats did this and there was a small amount of blood on the floor by the litterbox. I took him to the emergency clinic and they said he wasn't blocked. They gave me some medication to help with his discomfort down there and I changed his diet. He hasn't had any problems since then.

I'd take your dog to the vet as soon as you can. Is there anyone that could take him for you?
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

Thanks for your replies, guys. I called the vet and they told me to give him a large bowl of water and then let him out. He squatted to pee (he squats, my weird boy) but nothing came out, so I called back and they had us come in immediately. I broke my bed rest because honestly, a life-threatening pet emergency is a million times more important than a few hours of my back surgery recovery!

Anyway, they examined hima nd X-ray'd him and nothing strange was found. They told me to keep a very close eye on his elimination, and try to get a sample if I could, but that there wasn't a blockage because the bladder was indeed, somehow, not very full. He's being his normal overactive self, which is a good sign too.

He could be having a UTI or simply peeing in a different (and as of yet undiscovered, ew) place. We'll know more when I'm able to collect a sample.

So I'll keep monitoring him, but so far, so good.

Thanks again for your advice!
    J + A

I'm glad he's not blocked. Hopefully he will pee for you soon.
    Joseph Andrew, 3/16/06
    Benjamin Alexander, 3/7/08
    Henry Adam, 6/10/11

If he feels crappy because he has a UTI, or has a bellyache, he may not be drinking and is a little dehydrated- thus the empty bladder. Either way I think it's great you took him in, because who wants to mess around!

Thanks, Jane and Jesvet. He finally peed like a racehorse last night, and we got a sample. I'll drop it off at the vet's today. He's beena cting very normal, so I hope that's a good sign that he's not feeling *too* crappy!
    J + A

skyblu, if you think you need to go on a hunt for possible marking, a black light in a dark room will make urine marks show up very easily. The enzymes will glow brightly.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.