Quantcast

Default How to decorate stair landing area??

Our stairs have a "landing" area halfway up and it's not big enough for a chair or anything, maybe a bookshelf or something though... I'm just not sure what would be good to put in an area like this. The ceiling is really high (very high expanse of wall) and it is just a big barron area. It's just a few steps up from our big comfy living room, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad space to store books, I don't know. It's just so BORING and such an awkward space! Does anyone have any ideas for us, or PICTURES of decorated landing areas?

I don't have any pictures, but a friend of mine had the same type of landing area. They used this space to hang up all sorts of family pictures. They were in all kinds of different sizes and frames, and it was really beautiful.
    ~~ Kim ~~
    You can only be young once. But you can always be immature. ~Dave Barry
    When the hell did I turn DOMESTICATED???

I was thinking about doing that, but since the wall is SOOO high, I'm worried about it either looking weird to have all the pictures on the bottom fourth of the wall so you can actually see them, or of haing them way too high. Hmmm... maybe if I put some sort of huge wreath or something up above the photos to fill that area...

As another thought, get some really tall pictures (for example, we collect Warren Kimble's "Barns" and the pictures we have are SUPER tall) and group them together up and down, instead of across.

Is there an outlet there? Can you put a wall sconce there, and plug it in?
    James & Jennifer - 12.18.04 ~~ Little Man - July 2006 ~~ Big Little Sister - April 2009 ~~ Little Dude - May 2011; my Mother's Day gift!

So when I originally read this Im thinking you want something for the actual area...like a piece of furniture..but then all the replies have been pretty much about wall decorations?

My parents used to have a small small table probably knee high that she just had a small plant on and a few knickknacks...it looked cute....I think a bookcase might look okay depending on how big of an area it is.

My sister's MIL has an area like this that looks beautiful. She has a little shelf hung on the wall with a couple of photos of grandkids and then an umbrella stand with gorgeous flowers inside. It looks beautiful and I think it was a great way to fill that space.
    "Great balls of fire. Don't bother me anymore, and don't call me sugar."
    -Scarlett O'Hara

Some sort of a weaving or quilt? Look on eBay.

Thanks for the ideas!! Another idea i found is to tile a bunch of similar pictures on the whole wall space... to achieve an almost geometric effect. It wouldn't be with personal photos, but of some sort of print, etc. that would look cool going almost to the ceiling.

I'd put a tall plant in there, like a sword plant or corn plant, or a ficus tree. Maybe with a heavy decorative pot, something made of that fake carved stone or with a wrought iron footed table underneath for stability.
    Writing: a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia.