Quantcast
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Default How accurate is ultrasound at detecting gender?

OK. I know ultrasound is not 100% accurate at detecting gender, but chances itís right are pretty high, right?

I have a coworker who keeps telling me not to trust my u/s results but I donít know of anyone who itís ever been wrong for.

Any thoughts or discussion?

I was just curious as I don't know anyone who has ever had a wrong reading, though I'm sure it does happen.

I bought some boy outfits this weekend and she made me paranoid!
    Married: 6/14/03 * Big Brother: 3/18/06 * Little Brother: 10/5/08
    Live simply so others may simply live.

Huh. Well, at 15w4d our u/s tech was quite confident she saw little boy parts. At 16 weeks, our amnio results revealed that he is, in fact, a boy. So for us, u/s was right on.

ETA: And actually, I've never really known anyone for whom the u/s was wrong. I mean, I've heard stories (haven't we all?) but it was nobody I know.

-Betsy
    Betsy & Travis ~ 7.27.02
    Scott Alexander ~ 12.20.05 *** Juliet Evelyn ~ 10.31.07***Mark Louis ~ 7.12.10

Well they can get it wrong but I don't know any statistics on how often that happens. Last year my mom's coworker was told she was having a boy and three u/s confirmed it. Nope, it was a girl. It seems to me though that more often they would be wrong the other way around.
    DS 3/31/06
    DD 6/14/09

It was accurate for me. The tech said she was "93% sure" it was a girl...and lo and behold...it was a girl!

A girl I know, though, was told she was having a boy. Come to find out on the day of delivery that Steve, Jr. was a girl! Of all the people I know that had u/s (and there were many), that was the only gender "oops." I would say the odds are in the favor of being correct, but I wasn't exactly snipping tags off of all things pink until I had her...

I'm pretty sure, the tech. will tell you if they're not at least 90% sure, that they *could be wrong*, when we found out ds was a boy, she said she was 95% sure, she pointed all the parts out and everything...I also think the later the u/s the more accurate, but also, not too late...my OB says between 18-21 weeks is best...
    Landon Joseph.......born 06/04/05!
    Reece Carter....born 02/26/07!
    Hayden Kate.....born 10/15/08!

I don't know how accurate the ultrasound is...but I think that the person reading the ultrasound could make a difference. My OB sends all his patients to a neonatologist for the big U/S. I felt pretty confident that the Dr. was correct #1 because he is a doctor, not a tech, #2 he does U/S all day long every day! I think it the 3 years he had been in my town he hadn't ever been wrong! BTW, I think every one has heard a story about the U/S being wrong and they want to tell you all about it....just like they want to tell you about how to take care of your baby. When this happened when I was pregnant I just smiled and nodded!
    Natalie & Keri 05.25.02
    Addie 06.14.05
    Doak 12.02.07

A lady at my work was told she was having a boy at her 20w U/S and a few weeks later she had another due to spotting and was told a girl. Is is due any day now, but they are very sure it's a girl. I'm planning on buying clothes for one gender, but being sure to keep tags on and save reciepts!
    Marriage : 1.15.05
    Benjamin : 4.26.06 : William : 4.7.08
    Samuel Evans is here! Born 10.11.10 weighing 9lbs 6oz and 23" long

Our technician "had" to say he was only 99% sure it was a boy, but when we saw the little frank & beans it was so obvious! And of course we saw it a few more times since our little guy wasn't modest at all during any of our u/s. So many people say ridiculous things to preggos to make them nervous or question whats going on (why can't they just smile and shut up??). I'm sure your technician knew what he was seeing! lol

So many people say ridiculous things to preggos to make them nervous or question whats going on
    I was going to say the same thing! Why do people do this? argh. Several people had to tell me their "so and so was told they were having a boy and it was a girl" stories after we found out the sex. Sooooo annoying. I do actually know someone who this happened to, but it was 9 or 10 years ago and I would like to think the quality of u/s equipment has vastly improved since then.

Well, the only 100% ways to be sure which gender the baby is a)wait until the birth to find out the gender or b)have an amino done.

I personally know a woman who was told without a doubt that the baby was a little boy. They painted the room blue, had pretty much everything boy/blue related. The baby ended up being a little girl. Talk about surprised, now they were.

This is the exact reason that I never cut the tags off any of the outfits we bought but two (so I could pack them in my suitcase to take to the hospital). We didn't have a gender specific nursery. I didn't even want to find out but my DH did. So he found out and told me later (we had an unexpected event happen and he thought it would cheer me up to know what the gender was). At each of the subsequent u/s, they would say that 'the baby still looks like a girl.'
    momma to DD & DS