PDA

View Full Version : How would you engrave initials?

PalmBch2002
03-05-2009, 08:26 AM
I'm having my DD's silver spoon engraved and don't know the proper way to do initials...is it First(small), Last (big), then Middle (small). Or just in the order First middle last?

Also where would you do it on the spoon? The handle right?

MrsSpencer
03-05-2009, 08:29 AM
I think the middle initial is slightly bigger than the first and last..at least on mine it was.

MrsBeckyLP
03-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I've always done monograms with the last name's initial larger and in the center. So it would be first initial, last name initial, middle initial. I prefer it this way.

I just found this on monogrampage.com:

(When making a monogram using) three letters - The first letter of one persons first, middle, and last names. Mary Elisabeth Bryant's monogram could be done in two ways:

MBE or MEB

The first letter of the persons last name is larger and placed in the center with the first initial and the middle initial on each side. With all three letters the same size, the letters appear in the order the name is normally written.

And yes, you'd put it on the handle.

BTB
03-05-2009, 08:43 AM
I've always thought a monogram is supposed to be first/LAST/middle. It makes no sense to have the middle initial be the largest! Having them the same size and first/middle/last isn't a 'monogram', IMO, it's just the person's initials. And yes, definitely the handle on a spoon.

PalmBch2002
03-05-2009, 08:55 AM
OK so my daughters initials are ATM

Is that horrible to put on a keepsake? Should I just leave it unengraved or put her birthdate instead?

I can think of 2 things this abbrev. stands for, one is banking and the other is where my dirty mind takes me. Of course I could just have a gutter mind and no one else even thinks this...:o

Angie
03-05-2009, 09:10 AM
Of course I could just have a gutter mind and no one else even thinks this...:o

Okay, you've got me scratching my head. I can't figure out what you might be thinking... :confused:

On the other hand, being in Texas, my first thought was Texas A&M since they do the big T in the middle with the A and M on the sides.

PinkMartini
03-05-2009, 09:15 AM
OK so my daughters initials are ATM

Is that horrible to put on a keepsake? Should I just leave it unengraved or put her birthdate instead?

I can think of 2 things this abbrev. stands for, one is banking and the other is where my dirty mind takes me. Of course I could just have a gutter mind and no one else even thinks this...:o

Is ATM first-last-middle? If so you could do the other route and do first-middle-last if it's bugging you (even though I guess it's not considered a 'real' monogram).

MrsBeckyLP
03-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Having them the same size and first/middle/last isn't a 'monogram', IMO, it's just the person's initials.

Agreed.

And I have no idea to what you're referring, besides a bank ATM. Feel free to clue me in. ;)

PalmBch2002
03-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Ok so I guess I do have a dirty mind. geesh it figures :rolleyes:

in my little corner of my world ATM stands for an oral sexual practice of @ss to mouth. Meaning the guy puts it first in your butt and then in your mouth. OMG i can't believe I just typed that out there. I feel dirty now. I promise I'm SOOOO not that way... I hope I didn't just ruin my online rep. But at least I added a little spice to your afternoon :eek:

Anywho - back to the initials...I think I'll just ask the engraver how people normally do their spoons. I'm sure he'll know.

Sorry to all of you who I offended by my description. I really didn't mean to offend.

MrsBeckyLP
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
OMG i can't believe I just typed that out there. I feel dirty now.

Now that's funny. I did LOL when I read that part.

Thanks for enlightening me. Nasty, BTW. :eek:

miaclear
03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
My husband being and Aggie would LOVE a kid with the monogram aTm :p

And I've never heard that reference before either....but now I'll probably never forget it. ack :o

PalmBch2002
03-05-2009, 05:39 PM
I know right..it's something that will come to your mind every.single.time you pull up to a bank! I'm so sorry I ruined your banking experience!

DH and I weren't even thinking about monograms when we decided on her name and initials. Of course we realized it after the fact.

I promise I'm not that icky.

BTB
03-05-2009, 05:46 PM
I made it to my 30's without learning that particular meaning of ATM - maybe your DD will be that lucky too. :)

amew
03-05-2009, 06:03 PM
My family tends to engrave and monogram things really frequently. We use both the FML and FLM formats, depending on the nature of the item. Either is acceptable, but if the initials are in first, middle, last order, they must be the same size; if the last initial is in the middle, it should be larger. I would use whichever order you prefer. I have never heard that particular meaning of ATM, but if it bothers you at all, I would do first, middle, last to avoid using it. Spoon handles are also lovely with a large single-initial monogram.

Angie
03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Great, now I realized my DD's monogram (and mine too) is ABM (makes me think of 'a BM' :().

Missy2U
03-06-2009, 07:47 AM
I hope I didn't just ruin my online rep.

I wouldn't worry about it. I knew what you meant! :D

imagirliegirl
03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
LOL! Ewwwww!!!!