PDA

View Full Version : help with clothes sizing 5T and beyond

LeslieR
02-16-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this. And forget bringing DS to the store to try on clothes! We have not yet branched out beyond a 5T. That being said...

What is the difference between a 5T and a 5 (ON, Gap, TCP)?

Where does The Children's Place fall in line? Is a 4 like a 5T?

vjel
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
5T has more room for a kid in diapers still, so regular 5 would be cut smaller in the rear.

In terms of The Children's Place sizing, the difference between a 4 and 4T is length. My dd is turning 5 in May and a size 4 fits her perfectly length wise but a 4T is too short. I would say that the size 4 is about 3 inches longer in length.

Old Navy use to fit my dd pretty well. It no longer works for her. 5T tops verge on short and 5T pants are way too baggy (even w/ adjustable waist) and long. She is pretty thin also.

mamax2
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm told (I think at the Carter's store) that a 5 vs 5T is basically the difference between buying 24 months vs 2T. It's something like 1/2" wider and 1/2" longer. It's really a minute difference, but it's designed for kids who just run a little bigger than the standard size 5. Not all stores carry 5T though.

Kanga
02-16-2009, 03:52 PM
I don't know about any of the others but TCP 4 is bigger than their 4T (they don't have a 5T)

LeslieR
02-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Thanks everyone!

Old Navy use to fit my dd pretty well. It no longer works for her. 5T tops verge on short and 5T pants are way too baggy (even w/ adjustable waist) and long. She is pretty thin also.

I am finding the same thing! We very quickly switched from 4T shirts to 5T (seriously, I bought 4T for the start of school in September and then new 5T shirts right before Christmas) and now I feel like the 5T are bordering on too short.:eek: I know he is a growing boy, but come on. I can't imagine they are shrinking that much, either. We have one 5T shirt from Gap and it seems pretty big on him still. Makes no sense since they're the same freaking company! As far as the pants, the 4Ts are almost floods and the 5Ts are super long. I have to adjust the waists big time, but not too much so that he can still pull his pants up and down by himself at school. I can't buy him any elastic pants from there because they just fall right off of him. The whole thing is maddening.

Winter Biscuit
02-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Makes no sense since they're the same freaking company!

^^ Saw this and just wanted to comment.

Pants from Old Navy do not fit my 5-year old, but pants from the Gap do. I've tried several different styles of pants from ON, and they are all too tight and/or small in the waist, whereas a pair the same size from the Gap will fit just fine and/or run big. I used to think that she could wear anything from either store and she'd be fine, since they're owned by the same company, but my experience has proven otherwise. ON pants simply do not fit my child -- never have. Their regular sizes are like extra slim-fitting on my DD.

Along the same lines as the original question, what's the difference between a 6 and 6X? My 5-year old is very tall and all her stuff in size 5 is too small, too short, etc. She has a few tops in size 6/7 (:eek:) that fit her and don't expose her belly, but I've always been baffled by the whole 6 vs 6X stuff. I did a google search and I've gotten different answers -- some say a 6X is about half a size (or 1/2") wider than a 6. One post said it's for "chubby" kids. Then another site says that a 6X has extra length and is for tall, lean kids. Does it depend on the manufacturer? :confused:

mamax2
02-20-2009, 07:30 AM
Along the same lines as the original question, what's the difference between a 6 and 6X? My 5-year old is very tall and all her stuff in size 5 is too small, too short, etc. She has a few tops in size 6/7 (:eek:) that fit her and don't expose her belly, but I've always been baffled by the whole 6 vs 6X stuff. I did a google search and I've gotten different answers -- some say a 6X is about half a size (or 1/2") wider than a 6. One post said it's for "chubby" kids. Then another site says that a 6X has extra length and is for tall, lean kids. Does it depend on the manufacturer? :confused:

Maybe it does vary by manufacturer, but my experience so far (my oldest is just moving into 6X) is that it's only slightly bigger than a 6. Again, sort of like a 2T vs 24 months. My DD wears ONLY dresses or elastic waist pants (these are getting REALLY hard to find in the bigger sizes). She's of very average/normal proportions, she just has self-imposed clothing 'issues' ;) Anyway, so I can't really speak for the width differences since I'm buying dresses and/or elastic waist pants, but the length is definitely a little longer so far.

BTB
02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
I've found the biggest difference to be in the styles - 4s and 5s are in the "kids" section and are smaller versions of the clothes offered in size 8, 10, etc. By contrast 4T and 5T are larger versions of the more "cutesy" styles offered in 2T and 3T.

LeighW
02-21-2009, 10:59 AM
For companies that make a size 6x, it's the size between a 6 and a 7.

melmatsu
02-21-2009, 07:19 PM
I am so glad you asked this question! My son turned 5 in Nov. He is suddenly outgrowing 5T clothes, and I am unsure of what size to buy next. He is about 46 pounds and 43 inches tall.

Jenzen01
02-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I just ventured into the size 5 world this past weekend. My 4-year-old is getting too tall for his 4T and 4 pants but he's so stinkin' skinny that a lot of stuff falls off of him.

I bought a couple of pairs of jeans from Oshkosh B'Gosh, one 5T and one 5 slim. I put them up to each other, and there really wasn't much difference in length. But I tell you what, the 5Ts were $2 cheaper than the 5s.

The 5 slim is probably a better fit for him. Both pairs have those built-in adjustable elastic belts in the inside, which is what he needs right now because he's so skinny.

As for shirts, I've been buying him 5/6 this year, and I'm starting to get some 7s for next year.

LeslieR
02-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Well, I've decided I'm never buying him shirts from ON again. I don't know what it is, but I think they shrink a lot. I do love their jeans with the adjustable waist, though. I stocked up on 5Ts a while back when they were having their $7 jeans sale or whatever it was. Slowly making the transition over. I'm really amazed at the difference in size between the 4T jeans and the 5Ts. Maybe those shrink a lot, too?:confused: