PDA

View Full Version : How much should I charge to nanny 2 babies?

carrie9142
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
I have been asked to nanny for two friends of mine. It would be two days a week, 8-5, for two infants about 3-4 months old.

I am thinking about doing it, but I have no idea how much to ask per hour! I don't even have a clue what the going rate is. I imagine they are hoping to conserve costs by 'splitting' my hourly wage. Of course, with two babies it doubles the work for me!

What would a reasonable amount be? I don't have any formal training in childcare/development or anything like that. Unless babies are helped by accounting or nutrition degrees ;)

Thanks!!!

ETA-I am in AL if that make a difference.

LeighW
10-15-2007, 04:47 AM
Nanny rates vary so much by region, experience of the nanny, whether or not you are being paid under the table, etc.

Can you do some local research and find out about the going rates? Maybe try Craig's List, or call a few agencies and see what the hourly rate is. Maybe call a few daycare centers and find out what they charge for infants--then add at least 30%.

I live in the Washington, DC metro area. The going rate is around $600 a week, under the table, meaning the employer does not withhold taxes and the payments are in cash. (For one or two kids.) I don't know what the rate is if the employer is withholding taxes. (I have a friend who pays under the table, and I know what she pays her nanny.)

juliemag
10-15-2007, 05:46 AM
I've paid a variety of different prices for nannies for my 6 month old. I had him in an in-home daycare with about 6 other kids under 2 :eek: and it was $150 per week. Now I'm paying $220 for 4 days a week - a friend is watching him with another 3 yr old and her 2.5 yr old.

I wouldn't feel shy asking each mom for $250 per week per child. Its going to be a LOT of work!

ETA: Woops, I just read it would only be 2 days a week. In that case I'd ask for $50-$60 per day per child.

kindermom
10-15-2007, 06:01 AM
I pay two different rates. I paid a friend $75 for 1 infant for 2 7-hour days in her home. I now pay her $165 for 3 8-hour days with 2 18-months apart. Note that she set the rate as I originally offered $100 for the 2 days. I also pay someone $12/hr for care in my home on an as needed basis for the two children. I would only expect to pay that much IF it was in my home.

To take my child to someone else's home means less money. It makes it more convenient for her and allows her to get some of her own work done. I would expect my friend to net about $8/hour for in-home care for my 2 kids.

ETA: I have looked into nanny sharing and everyone, without exception, splits the cost per child for a reasonable rate for 2 children. So if a regular nanny gets $10/hr for 1 children and $12 for 2 children (usually 25% increase per child in Baltimore area), then the parents pay $6 each for 2 families with 1 child each. Not that is a regular nanny gets $10 per child for $20 total. It is a cost sharing tool.

jbemommy
10-15-2007, 06:34 AM
It really does vary by area. We live in a very small town in rural NC, and I'm currently paying our nanny $9.50 per hour for our 3.5 y/o and 13 m/o. Are they coming to your house, or are you going to one of their houses? Personally if I had to take care of two kids the same age and they were in different families, I'd expect each family to pay me a reasonable hourly wage, not to have it divided between them.

mommydearest
10-15-2007, 06:35 AM
The Goddard School in Indianapolis near me charges $250 a week for infants. My mom was a nanny and she charged $5 per hour per child 10 years ago. You have to expect that 2 on 1 care is going to be expensive!

LeslieR
10-15-2007, 06:41 AM
Not sure about nannies, but babysitters get $10-$15 an hour here for two kids. Thank God we have Grandma to babysit for us!

kemorr
10-15-2007, 07:05 AM
I currently pay my nanny $14 per hour - which is the average going rate around here for an experienced nanny for one child. If you have 2 children, the hourly wage goes up, but doesn't double. I think the rate for 2 kids is about $18-20 per hour, depending on the ages of the children. We live in a Chicago suburb. This is "under the table" - ie cash in hand, no taxes withheld.

mcgwigan
10-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Upstate NY here...my co-worker pays $20/day for hers. Not a nanny though is an in-home daycare that she takes the baby to. That is a pretty low rate though, most of them charge about $25/day for older kids and infants are usually more. I would think that for 2 infants you would want at least $50/day, possibly a little more if you are doing nanny work - going to their home to watch the babies and you may assume more than just child care roles, such as, switching laundry around, vaccuming, dishes, etc.

Ohana
10-15-2007, 10:04 AM
I live in suburban Seattle and would expect to pay an inexperienced nanny $10-12 an hour for my 2 kids (13 months and almost 4).

dollface
10-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Again, it depends in your area. Here, you can expect to pay a babysitter probably about $13-15 an hour for 2 kids - very young infants is a different story - probably closer to $20/hour. That's babysitting, nannying is more like $15-20 an hour for one, - so maybe $25-30/hour for two.

carrie9142
10-15-2007, 02:27 PM
So what exactly is the difference b/t a nanny and a babysitter? Is a nanny just a professional babysitter?

Thanks for all the input so far :)

kindermom
10-15-2007, 04:55 PM
IMO, our nanny is the same as a good babysitter. She plays with the children and picks up at the end of her day. She does not take on any additional duties.

ETA: Many nannies, when I was looking into it, also did laundry, cooked, etc.

alisong
10-15-2007, 05:03 PM
So what exactly is the difference b/t a nanny and a babysitter? Is a nanny just a professional babysitter? In my opinion, a babysitter provides occasional care, while a nanny provides regularly scheduled care, on a longer-term basis. And I think some people just don't like the term "nanny." :p

I agree with previous posters about rates varying by region. When we had a share, our nanny received about 1/3 more for watching two children than she would for watching one.

dollface
10-16-2007, 10:08 AM
Just echoing what ali said about babysitter vs. nanny. We would use a babysitter for occassional care like if we have a night out, maybe just for a few hours, etc. Our nanny is one our DS's primary caregivers. She is with him 9 hours a day, 4 days a week.