PDA

View Full Version : Clothes Sizing Question

dziner
08-19-2005, 05:47 PM
I would love to take advantage of the summer clearances for next year, but it's so hard to predict what size DD will wear! Can anyone tell me the difference b/w 24 mos and 2T? How long does a toddler wear 2T?

My DD is nearly 20 months but is very small and currently in size 12 mos. I am guessing she'll need some 12 mos and some 18 mos for fall and winter, and hopefully bigger by spring/summer but I don't know which size is next.

How long did your toddler stay in the same size? I know growth slows down a lot after the first year or so. TIA.

lorbo
08-19-2005, 06:23 PM
Brooke is right in the 24mth and 2T sizes-and she's been in these sizes for awhile now. She wears some small 3T and we've gotten away with a few 18 months(usually shorts). As far as my son, i fear that i won't be able to buy too far ahead for him because he's gigantic now.

linda_loo
08-19-2005, 06:25 PM
I seem to get a different answer at different stores. I have heard that 24 m is bigger in the butt, for room for a diaper and that 2T is more lean. I have found that 2T is longer, but also bigger. Like at Gymboree, I think their chart shows that 2T is like 1 inches longer and 2 pounds heavier.

My oldest wore a lot of 24 month clothes from about 20 months to 3 years. She could wear 2T right around 2 years, and suddenly shot into 3T when she was about 22 months. I don't think she had very much that was 2T, to be honest. She's been in 3T since 22 months (is 39 months), but right now, is moving into 4T. I should mention that there are a number of 24 month items that she only recently really outgrew; shorts, t-shirts and longish dresses. My girls are close in age like yours, and during this past summer, they wore a lot of the same things interchangably.

My youngest wore some 24 month clothes when she was a year old; she's in the 95th %ile in height and weight. She is now 21 months old and has outgrown a lot of her her 24 month items; I have been passing some 3Ts down to her. They are a little big on her, but c'est la vie for the little sis, I think.

I buy ahead a lot, and there have been a few times when I didn't buy well. But, I always keep tags on, and just sell them on ebay if they don't work. Also, I rarely buy anything that is fitted. Sweaters, shorts, skirts, t-shirts, leggings, jeans are about all I buy. Not dresses, I haven't done well with them.

HTH!

dziner
08-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Lorbo, how old is Brooke?

Linda, you say Ana wore size 24 mos all that time but NOT 2T? If 24 mos is smaller, why do you think she could wear those and 3T at the same time? I'm confused...

lorbo
08-19-2005, 08:43 PM
Brooke is 31 months. i buy for her-and her clothes are only on sale- and take the chance that her clothes will fit her at some point...and i've been really lucky-only one outfit was small and that was 24 months and a kids r us dress that was snug-i wanted it for her birthday this year...but James needed to make an appearance 4 days prior and as i was coming home from the hospital on her birthday-we had a blizzard-so that dress only saw the light of day on her body for her 2 year pictures.

Mrs. M.
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
I think the 24m is supposed to mean up to 24 months. I found 2t items to be slightly larger. DD is outgrowing some of her 24m stuff, but the 2t fits her really nice right now.

linda_loo
08-20-2005, 02:15 AM
you say Ana wore size 24 mos all that time but NOT 2T? If 24 mos is smaller, why do you think she could wear those and 3T at the same time? I'm confused...

She could wear 2T... I just never ended up buying very much of it because 24 m fit her for so long, right through a summer, where length wasn't an issue because she was wearing shorts instead of pants.* Some time in the end of September (2004) or early October, she had a HUGE growth spurt and all her pants (24 m and 2T) were too short. She literally grew 3 inches in about a month; it was freaky; and I had to buy nearly all new clothes for her for winter. When I got the summer stuff back out again in the spring, I found that she could still wear 24 m shorts and t-shirts.

Does that make sense? It's hard to explain. I think it is mostly about the length... even though 2T and 3T are larger around, it's not by a huge amount.

dziner
08-20-2005, 06:05 AM
Last night I looked at the growth charts and tried to predict how big DD'd be next summer. Her weight is not even on the chart, but her height is about 20th% and that's where her clothes get too small, the length. According to the chart she'll be about 34 inches next summer. Carters says size 24 mos is 33 inches and 2T is 35, the weight being pretty comparable. However...they also say 12mos is 28.5 inches and she's close to 31 inches right now and still fitting into that size. So it's confusing. I'm thinking 24 mos might be okay for her next year, maybe 2T by fall. Think that might work? I did get one pair of shorts for $2 in 24 mos...stuff is too good to pass up!!

LeighW
08-20-2005, 10:16 AM
I've found it varies wildly by manufacturer. Some 24 mos/2Ts are interchangeable, and sometimes the 2T is bigger. The biggest difference I've noticed is that 24 mos. is constructed for easier diaper access than 2T.

My DD wore size 24 mos. from about 10 months to 22 months (about a year). She started wearing a 2T right after she turned one, and also wore that size for about a year. She wore 24 mos. and 2T pretty much interchangeably for 10-11 months.

She started wearing 3Ts right before she turned 2, and I'm buying her 4Ts for this winter. I tend to buy stuff a little big, both for growing room and so I can throw everything in the dryer.

Although my DD started out big, her growth curve has been normal since birth(she just started larger).

HTH. Good luck, I get burned more often than not trying to buy ahead. Tempting, though, when clothing is so expensive and sales are great.

abbylynn
08-22-2005, 01:56 PM
I have the toughest time with clothes for DS because he's tall (mostly legs) and skinny. Last winter the pants that were long enough for him were all too big in the waist. Since he's been in shorts this summer we really haven't had a problem but I'm not looking forward to this winter. He's 25 months but is wearing mostly 12-18 month shorts and 18-24 month or 2T shirts. He even has a few pairs of 6-12 month shorts that still fit him! Most of his 18-24 month shorts are just way too big in the waist for him. I recently got him a few pairs of 2T pants at Baby Gap and they we're similar in size to the 18-24 month ones (maybe a little longer) but the 2Ts had an adjustable waist. I think it also varies from brand to brand. I've found Gymboree's pants and shorts to run much larger than Baby Gap.

mgrace
05-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I was going to buy a gift for a friend, but I need help with sizing. When do kids start wearing the T sizes, as in 2T? What is the difference between 2T and 24 months?

Thanks!

BeachBum
05-17-2007, 02:12 PM
IMO the sizes are pretty close and it depends on the brand. Supposedly 2T is a little narrower through the diaper area since kids may not be wearing diapers any more.
2T is supposed to indicate 2 toddler. According to the theory kids would start wearing that size at 2 years old.

mgrace
05-17-2007, 02:14 PM
Thanks BeachBum!

bluebunny
05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Also, 24-month clothing sometimes has snaps at the crotch while 2T does not. I'm assuming the snaps are for easier diaper changing while the possibly potty-trained two-year old would have pants that pulled down.

emschwar
05-17-2007, 04:45 PM
I found that 24m was a whole different size range from 2T. Noah wore 24m when 2T was still too big. 2T is definitely taller in the legs than 24m. Check out the sizing charts online at places like gap, ON, gymboree, etc.

Littlelamb11
05-18-2007, 11:52 AM
24M label=18-24Months. 2T is the next size up from 24M.

The T on clothing, IME, indicates it's for a chiild still in a diaper (hence, toddler) so 2T, 3T, 4T clothing is bigger in the butt. DD was potty trained when she was in the 2T size and we had a very hard time finding her clothes because they don't seem to make size 2 and all the 2T stuff was huge in the butt. You can easily find 3's and 4's without the T but I still have yet to see a plain 2.

catmom
05-18-2007, 12:52 PM
IMO 2t is considerably bigger than 24m.

Also, the sizing really depends a lot on the kid. My DD was wearing 3T shirts before she turned 2- she has really broad shoulders and is big for her age in general.

My friend's DD is only a few months younger than my DD, but weighs 13 pounds less (and is many inches shorter). Their size can really vary a lot at this age!

mindy75
05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
I think 2Ts are definitely for kids who are not nec wearing diapers anymore and they have a slightly larger weight/height range than the 24 months. DD wears either. The 2Ts tend to be slightly longer, but some of the pants don't work in the seat for her. Also, dresses in 2T come without bloomers to cover the diaper. In shirts I always get DD 2T, because I hate the onesie type tops. This is just an aside, but I don't know how the are supposed to be "easier" for diaper changes. I still have to take off whatever bottom she's wearing, unsnap her, then snap her back up and put on her pants again. :rolleyes: We're also potting training, so it's easier on her if she can just push her pants down and do her little business.

gardenmommy
07-21-2007, 09:50 AM
So DD's 2nd birthday is coming up and people have asked me her size in order to buy her clothes. I get that 2T can be a bit bigger than 24 months, and she is wearing both right now.

What I don't get is what she will be wearing in say 6 months when the weather turns. I bought her some new cold weather jammies yesterday and I got 3T because the 2T's didn't look very big and I asusme she'll be a lot bigger in 6 months. Its easy for me if they list height and weight.

So do 2 year olds typically wear 2T, 3 year olds 3T...or is it like baby sizing where you wear up to that age, so a 16 month old wears 12-18 months??

BeachBum
07-21-2007, 11:38 AM
From what I understand 2T is from age 2 until age 3--so opposite of baby sizes where you wear that size before your age reaches the months.

As for your situation and what size to buy--I think it really is a guess for everyone. My son has been wearing a combo 2T for the last 2 months (totally out of all 24 mo we own). I have purchased a combo of 2T and 3T for fall/winter. I'm thinking that he will be in 3T for spring so things that aren't in dark colors I bought in 3T (to be later winter early spring pieces) and things that look very fallish I bought in 2T.
I wouldn't necessarily think that my son (or your daughter) would be "a lot bigger in 6 months".
As for PJs they aren't a fair gage. They either have to be super tight or flame retardant (sacrificing softness)to meet federal fire standards. Everyone I know sizes up in jammies.