PDA

View Full Version : Groin Pain 15 weeks

pugzy
05-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I didn't see another thread about this, please let me know if there is.

I'm 15 1/2 weeks and having a dull achy pain in my groin (right next to my vagina). I notice it more if I've been walking, sitting, or standing a while. My doctor said it's from the extra weight of my uterus pressing on the ligaments and muscles in my groin. That concerns me since I know I'm only going to get bigger! I asked her if kegels would help, and she said probably not.

Anyone else have this? Have you found anything that helps it?

Amuse Bouche
05-09-2007, 01:18 PM
For me (20w) it's progressed so that my uterus is pressing on a nerve in my groin and making my left thigh either numb or pins and needly if I stand too long, sit in certain positions, etc. My dr. said there's really nothing I can do except for not sit in those positions. FWIW, I really noticed it a lot the first week it was happening (around 18w), and now it doesn't bother me as much -- I think I've just learned to compensate.

ellidew
05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
pugzy- I had the exact same thing while i was pg. It lasted 4-6 weeks and then just went away and like you it was towards the middle of the pg. I think as you get bigger the weight extends away from your body and probably doesn't rest as firmly on those nerves. My guess is that it will spontaneously go away on its own. Just one of those discomforts of pregnancy. Good luck.

daisysue62
05-10-2007, 08:14 AM
I'm 18 weeks along and have the same uncomfortable ache that seems to be right in front of my pubic bone. I had the same achey feeling through the end of my last pregnancy so I'm not expecting it to get any better or go away any time soon! If anyone figures out a way to make that ache go away please let me know!

conneals
05-11-2007, 09:25 AM
2nd pregnancy and the round ligament pain is killing me this time around. I can barely walk thru the grocery store or Target! I just try to rest as much as one can with a 20 month old!

Feisty
05-11-2007, 09:43 AM
I had groin pain from about 18-24 weeks. Like you, I was really worried it would just get worse, but my body did adjust. At 39 weeks I have an easier time putting on my pants than I did at 20 weeks! I expected many things in my pregnancy to "only get worse," but really no one symptom has been like that. Hang in there!

MichelleRenee
05-11-2007, 10:03 AM
Yep. I had the same pain and it lasted until the day I gave birth. It wasn't pleasant and nothing I did seemed to help. It made getting out of bed so hard and getting dressed even harder.

Hang in there and good luck. You are due the day before my DS's first birthday!

Jenn (and Bill)
05-12-2007, 08:29 AM
I have groin pain too...usually when I stand up after sitting or lying down. It usually goes away after a couple of minutes of walking but when I first stand up I feel like an old lady.

Amuse, I also have the numbness/tingles in my thigh but it's my right thigh. i haven't figured out positions to avoid because it's fairly persistent. Everyone thinks it's a pinched nerve but my orthopaedist and physical therapist conflict on which nerve it is. My PT just figures the baby is pushing on something and once it gets bigger and moves up, I'll be better off. It's actually fairly painful on a regular basis and I haven't been able to wear even low-heeled shoes since I got it.

dizylizy
05-15-2007, 11:43 AM
26w
I am having this sharp pain when i walk down stairs. It takes my breath away. I can only do down 2 or 3 than stop, deep breath, down 2 or 3. Plus walking now creates this pulling/crampy feeling in front of my pubic bone. Ouch. do not remember this from last time....

Chicksinger
05-16-2007, 04:35 PM
pugzy That dull groin pain sounds like Pubis Symphysis Disorder. I had it with DS and I have it again with this pregnancy. Here is a post I wrote about how to handle some of the problems. (http://www.constantchatter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28265)

I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have about it.

LexyLou
05-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Yup, I have this. I had it with DD1 but it didn't start until Week 27. This time it started around week 20.

It's what chicksinger wrote about. Are you short waisted? I know for me, even though I'm 5'7", I'm very short waisted and very early on, baby gets cramped down there. I just ice/heat and take a lot of tylenol.

Chicksinger
05-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I, too, am VERY short waisted. My baby belly is sticking straight out!

LexyLou
05-18-2007, 06:55 AM
I'd be interested to see if there is a true connection between being short waisted and the Pubis Symphysis Disorder.

My OB actually told me that I'm actually probably having a little bit of pelvic bone seperation already.

Chicksinger
05-18-2007, 09:12 AM
My OB actually told me that I'm actually probably having a little bit of pelvic bone seperation already.

Yes, that is what PSD is. The "symphysis" is where your pelvic bones come together. They are not supposed to loosen and separate until the end, to help the baby come out. By separating early, perhaps due to the hormone relaxin flooding through your body (this is the time that feet and hands often seem larger, due to joints relaxing), the symphysis is no longer firmly together. It is harder to support movement, particularly with only one leg at a time, and the bones not only move apart, they can also bang and grind together.

LexyLou
05-20-2007, 04:54 AM
Yikes! Good times. :) did you have it with your DS too?

isign
05-20-2007, 07:57 AM
I'm having this, but the dr said it was round ligaments. It's constant aching, worse when I try to move at night or push something with my foot. I've never been happy with his Dx, because it's only in my groin, no where else. Adding to my list of questions for him.

LexyLou
05-20-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm having this, but the dr said it was round ligaments. It's constant aching, worse when I try to move at night or push something with my foot. I've never been happy with his Dx, because it's only in my groin, no where else. Adding to my list of questions for him.

If it's waaayyy down in your pelvic bone then it is not round ligament pain. Round ligament is more up in your uterus/belly area.

For me, this pain is almost like walking on a sprained ankle or something. It's a bone type pain and sometimes dull and achy but if I step wrong or put too much weight on one side it's a sharp, yikes, pain.

isign
05-20-2007, 12:41 PM
That's exactly it. If I lay on my side and prop my leg up on DH, if he's laying the same way, it seems to take some pressure off and help a little. It feels like it used to when I was little and hit myself on the bar on my bike, and it's not going away.

Chicksinger
05-20-2007, 04:09 PM
LexyLou Yes, I had it with DS, too. I've got 10 days left and I'm so sore!! Can.not.wait. to have baby.

isign That really sounds like Symphysis Disfunction/Disorder, especially "trying to push something with your foot". My first OB had never heard of it, and neither had my Physical Therapist, though she did help me with some daily modifications once she understood what I was describing. Round ligament (for me) has always been on the same plane as my belly button, just more to the sides than the front.

This is from Pregnancy Wizard (http://www.pregnancywizard.com/complications/symphysis.php):
If you suspect you have symphysis pubis dysfunction, there are symptoms that will aid in the diagnosis. Pain and difficulty walking are the most common sign of SPD, which can make simple activities like getting in and out of a car, turning over in bed and even getting dressed extremely difficult and painful. The pain is typically felt in the pubic area, but can also be felt throughout the inner thighs, the hips and in your buttocks. There's no treatment for SPD, but after birth when the hormone relaxin ceases production, the ligaments will return to their normal state and the symptoms will slowly start to disappear.

So true! Actually, my symptoms were gone the day after labor! However, I had an emergency c/s, so I was not separated *more* during birth. I'm trying for a VBAC this time, and I hope it doesn't worsen the soreness after, but I've read that with bedrest and some painkillers it will go away by w eeks postpartum, even if exacerbated during childbirth.

I always sleep with a body pillow now, with the left leg under and the right leg over the pillow. (My right side is the worst. I can barely move afterward if I try to lie on my right side for awhile.) Getting dressed can be torture. I have to drop pants on the floor and step into the leg holes, since I currently cannot balance on one foot and lift the other. :rolleyes:

abbytfox
08-26-2008, 11:06 AM
I know that this was posted a long time ago, but I am hoping those of you that have experienced SPD can shed some light on this.

This is my second pregnancy and I am 29 weeks...I have been having low achy pains with pain radiating down my inner thigh for quite some time and chalked it up to just pregnancy related discomfort. This past weekend it intensified to the point that I could not walk or bear weight on my legs, couldn't walk up stairs and was in debilitating pain for the majority of the day (really fun with an almost 3 year old!) I called my doc who saw me and decided that what I was experiencing was round ligament pain. I was stumped. RLP is usually a sharp pain that goes away with rest...this is extreme pain that persists even after lying on the couch for an hour (or 3 hours). I can stand up and its exactly the same as it was. It has gotten so bad I can not do my normal activities and pretty much am confined to resting on the couch as much as possible.

If you had SPD what helped? If anything? I am resting as much as possible and just staying off my feet which helps a little, but at night the pain is unbearable leaving me in tears sometimes. Any thoughts? Does this sound like Round ligament pain to you? Or something more? I just can't believe that pain this intense is RLP as my doctor says...

JenK
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Ouch, I feel for you! Any kind of pain down there is downright miserable!
I think what I had was PSD, and honestly, what helped for me was to see a chiropractor. He adjusted my hips, and for some reason that helped. Did not CURE it, but it helped!
Oh yeah, another thing I did was to sit on an ice pack. It sounds delightful, doesn't it? But it did help a tiny bit.

And for me, it was never a dull, achy pain. It was more like someone whacked me in the crotch with a bat. It was horrible!

abbytfox
08-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks JenK! That's what I have heard from most people. Resting is making a world of difference, but I am still in constant pain even if its lessened. I guess I need to look into that!

FoxyBlue
09-01-2008, 05:21 PM
Talk to a natural practitioner about Sepia (homeopathy).