PDA

View Full Version : quitting a job after a short time?

villanelle75
03-28-2007, 11:27 AM
How bad is it to do this? I was at my previous job for nearly 3 years. My new job is with a different organization that is part of the same larger umbrella organization. I have been here for just over 2 months. It isn't' terrible, but it is lacks any challenge and I am completely by myself for 98% of my time here. It just isn't what I expected, and my expectations were low to begin with. I took this job because things were falling apart at my old organization and it was draining the life out of me to be there, so I took the first decent out that came along. I knew it wasn't perfect for me, but I just had to get out. And the aspects that I thought i wouldn't mind (like being alone, which I thought might even be a positive since i was dying over the micromanagement at Oldjob), have turned out to bother me more than I expected.

There is a decent chance we will be moving to Italy and I will be quitting this job in anywhere from 7-10 months, in which case I would stick it out and it would be fairly easy to do so since and end would be in sight. However, if we find out we are staying here, I'd like to start a very selective job search. I would only apply for things that sounded really great.

How bad would it look on my resume to have a 3 or 5 month job on there? Do I simply explain it as I did here: that it wasn't what I expected and I needed to move on? Am I totally screwing my current organization if I were to leave this soon?

May27JnJ
03-28-2007, 11:35 AM
That's basically what my whole resume is. However, I do not include the months. I just put the years. I am not going to stay somewhere that I'm not happy at. I need to find somewhere that I fit. I fit here so I'm glad I changed jobs.

camberne
03-28-2007, 11:37 AM
Since you might be moving (I really do hope you hear something very very soon), I would hold out until you know one way or the other. If you're moving, you could probably last until you needed to get the house ready and go; if you're not, then you won't be screwing a new potential employer by hiring you and then you find out you're leaving.

I'm SO with you on the job thing right now!!

May27JnJ
03-28-2007, 11:39 AM
For me I always looked somewhere else. It never hurts to look or try. Lucky for me, I'm now happy where I am. But I kept looking until I found this place!

Kimberland30
03-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Saying that you were with your previous employer for 3 years, I'd go ahead and list your current employer even though it's only been a few months. When did you switch? I agree with May27JnJ in that if you started in 2006 (even if it's December), put 2006-Present on your resume. If you are called for an interview, you can be honest and let them know that you need more of a challenge.

I was laid off from a few jobs within a short amount of time (2 years). Looking at my resume you'd like I wasn't a reliable employee because of the time span at each place, but once I got an interview it wasn't a big deal when I explained my situation, and the fact that 3 of my former employers have gone out of business - which isn't rare in my industry.

Delaney21
03-28-2007, 11:54 AM
I always just put the years on my resume, so they would never know that I tried something out for a few months because I would leave it off.

villanelle75
03-28-2007, 11:56 AM
I started in January 07 so it would be very obvious how long I've been here, even if I use years to list it since it would say 2007-present.

I will definitely hold off on applying for anything until we hear if we are staying and if we are leaving I will not look for anything else. Until then, I guess I should just be grateful for all the CC time.

Linz
03-28-2007, 01:02 PM
I am going through something very similar right now. I was at my last job for 4 years and they hired all new management and the way the company was being ran was awful and they basically were pushing the "old" employees out to bring in new ones. I have been at my current job since Jan. 15th, so about 2 1/2 months and it's just not what I expected and I am somewhat looking for something new.

I think if you just explain the situation to prospective employers they will understand.

For the record, I had a job once for 2 weeks, it was horrible, I leave it off of my resume completely.

jajacobsen
03-28-2007, 01:16 PM
I have always found the phrase, "upon refelction, it was not a good fit" to be particularly helpful in these situations. It acknowledges dissatisfaction with the current position without assigning blame.

By teh timeyou hear about Italy, you will have been with this position about six months, which is reasonable enough to know if something works or not (youmay know now, but through your potential employers eyes so you don't seem flighty). Be honest. say your old organization was folding (or whatever the situation was) and you may have been too hasty in taking the current one, as it was not a good fit....

camberne
03-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I have always found the phrase, "upon refelction, it was not a good fit" to be particularly helpful in these situations. It acknowledges dissatisfaction with the current position without assigning blame.Ooooh, I like that... I'm going to have to write that down and practice saying it!!